• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Differences between DMG 3.0 and 3.5

Hammerforge

Explorer
As the title suggests, I'm wondering what differences there are between the 3.0 DMG and its 3.5 volume. I have the 3.0 edition and am thinking of buying the 3.5 one, but I'm hesitant to plunk down $30.00 for a book if it is almost the same as the one I already have. Any insights on this?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
The 3.5 DMG has a lot of nice stuff about environment types and terrain hazards, and the magic item pricing has been revamped to make some things less abusive. And, of course, the prestige classes have been redone, and a lot have been added.

You probably could work just with the 3.0 DMG and a copy of the 3.5 SRD, but the 3.5 DMG is still a beautiful (and convenient) book.

Demiurge out.

the Jester

Legend
There are no rules for 'apprentice-level multiclassing' or whatever the hell they called it (multiclassing at 1st level) in 3.5.... optional in 3.0.

They were a sop to the 2e hangers-on anyhow, imho.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
The 3.0 book also has an easier to use sample NPC section, but the 3.5 one is better for customizing NPCs. The 3.5 book has better encounter tables.

I've been running a couple sessions of 3.0 and found the 3.5 book really useful. Then again, I find the 3.0 book useful during my 3.5 games.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
I have both, and I'd say that you can get by just fine with either one. But then, I don't worry about getting magic items or NPCs exactly "right" according to the rules, I just do whatever fits the story.

If you are an experienced DM, you could find a better use for that 30 bucks. Go look at the myriad supplemental books by various 3rd party publishers. One of them will probably fire your imagination far more than the DMG 3.5.:)

Remove ads