Digital miniatures to be converted to plastic miniatures?

Lord_Psathus

First Post
Ehm, just thought I should say this, I got into the FAQ's on the site, and it says its 99.95 plus 15 for shipping... So, if Wizards WAS going to go this way, it may be a tad expensive for most of us. :\

JDJblatherings

First Post
The figureprints figures are going to be 4" tall. Stood on bases and enclosed in domes. they are about 350% larger then gaming figures (in every dimension)...for $100.00. Looks like 3d printing of actual game minis is within reach.
An actual gaming piece of a man sized critter takes up 1/14 (or less) of the volume of a 4" figure. Is there anyone out there that would pay $7.00-$8.00 for a figure...

of course there is a lot of computer work folks aren't considering if there are going to be 3d print-out of figures. $35 per hour to create 3-D models is inexpensive. And it takes 10+ hours to make an accetable figure for a 3d game, I have heard of folks getting $5,000.00 a model.

Mirtek

Hero
JDJblatherings said:
The figureprints figures are going to be 4" tall. Stood on bases and enclosed in domes. they are about 350% larger then gaming figures (in every dimension)...for $100.00. Looks like 3d printing of actual game minis is within reach.
An actual gaming piece of a man sized critter takes up 1/14 (or less) of the volume of a 4" figure. Is there anyone out there that would pay $7.00-$8.00 for a figure...
I think going smaller makes them more difficult to print. It's easier to print detail on a 10 cm mini than on a 2.5 cm mini.

I would pay up to $20 including shipping.

Annother concern is on the durability of the mini. How much moving around on the table can such a 3d mini handle? Will she break the moment she's touched and shoved by her sword instead of carefully touched at her base? How durable are 3d printed minis during rough transport?

I like the D&D minis because I don't have to care at all. During transport the mini is just flying around in my dicebag among the dice. With a hand painted mini I would have to worry about chips of paint flying off.

Last edited:

Festivus

First Post
I thought all D&D Minis are already hand painted... or at least mostly hand painted.

Yeah, $100 waaay too much for my blood. I am in the $10-$20 crowd.

Remove ads