Digital vs physical media which do you prefer?

Digital vs physical media which do you prefer?

• physical media

Votes: 40 44.4%
  • Digital

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • a mix

Votes: 37 41.1%

GreyLord

Legend
It was in whatever word processing and spreadsheet programs Microsoft was selling pre-Office. They simply didn’t create a conversion for the Apple side; Office can’t open them.
(Some was also in PageMaker.)

While I’m annoyed that I can’t access the reams of printable material I created for that campaign, it’s the spreadsheet that hurts the most. I can remember the characters and scenarios I created, but it took a lot of work making a HERO character sheet that automatically calculated & tracked ALL of the numbers (assuming you entered your data correctly, of course).

Hmm, Microsoft I think was using Multi-word but that is just Microsoft Word and became such in the early 80s. For Excel type stuff there was Multiplan. There were several other programs that you may have used though if it was later than that. They were not necessarily released by Microsoft, but they MAY have come on computers that were PC's and released by other companies (such as Tandy's, HP's, Emachines, etc.).

You had Wordstar and it's adjoining items that was very popular until Wordperfect and the Corel Wordperfect Suite/Office which also had Quattro Pro (VERY Popular). Prior to Windows becoming popular these were probably the forefront of programs.

Because of their popularity there ARE programs that will convert them on the internet to MS files or Libreoffice files. That said, the Wordperfect programs are hard to convert so when doing so, I'd make a copy and use the copy to try to convert rather than the originals.

PS: If it was Quattro Pro, I also feel your pain. That program was probably still superior to Excel and there are some things that STILL don't really convert over right, even with conversion programs.

PPS: I used to be hardcore Word Perfect, Quattro Pro, and Netscape back when Windows first came out. I was a hard to convert person to Microsoft programs and only did so because the popularity eventually forced me to for some work items. Today, I'm slowly trying to migrate off of them and am using Libre office more, but still need to use MS office occasionally for others.

My grandkids (new fangled tech kids) are not even using MS stuff, they use Google (office??) for all their stuff it seems these days.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Hmm, Microsoft I think was using Multi-word but that is just Microsoft Word and became such in the early 80s. For Excel type stuff there was Multiplan. There were several other programs that you may have used though if it was later than that. They were not necessarily released by Microsoft, but they MAY have come on computers that were PC's and released by other companies (such as Tandy's, HP's, Emachines, etc.).

You had Wordstar and it's adjoining items that was very popular until Wordperfect and the Corel Wordperfect Suite/Office which also had Quattro Pro (VERY Popular). Prior to Windows becoming popular these were probably the forefront of programs.

Because of their popularity there ARE programs that will convert them on the internet to MS files or Libreoffice files. That said, the Wordperfect programs are hard to convert so when doing so, I'd make a copy and use the copy to try to convert rather than the originals.

PS: If it was Quattro Pro, I also feel your pain. That program was probably still superior to Excel and there are some things that STILL don't really convert over right, even with conversion programs.

PPS: I used to be hardcore Word Perfect, Quattro Pro, and Netscape back when Windows first came out. I was a hard to convert person to Microsoft programs and only did so because the popularity eventually forced me to for some work items. Today, I'm slowly trying to migrate off of them and am using Libre office more, but still need to use MS office occasionally for others.

My grandkids (new fangled tech kids) are not even using MS stuff, they use Google (office??) for all their stuff it seems these days.
The university, where I'm currently employed and have been for the last 25 years, was a Wordperfect house before I came onboard. More and more faculty wanted to move to Microsoft products and with me coming in from a Microsoft (and Corel) OEM distributor, they figured it was the perfect time to start supporting that stuff.

Funny thing is that I had never done support for Ms Office, though I did use it. In my previous job I was doing hardware support and, as an aside, coming up with methods to do mass installs of Windows and MS Office products to new computers. And no, I'm not the guy to blame for all the bloatware you get on new PCs. I didn't do that crap, because I would just be making more work for myself in support.

The university, where I'm currently employed and have been for the last 25 years, was a Wordperfect house before I came onboard. More and more faculty wanted to move to Microsoft products and with me coming in from a Microsoft (and Corel) OEM distributor, they figured it was the perfect time to start supporting that stuff.

Funny thing is that I had never done support for Ms Office, though I did use it. In my previous job I was doing hardware support and, as an aside, coming up with methods to do mass installs of Windows and MS Office products to new computers.
When I was back in college as for something to better myself since I hadn't become too sick to do it, I took a class and got certified for MS word 2016 ^_^

TheSword

Legend
Simply put, I use and need both.

I want a physical book to read for enjoyment, and to have as a reference - I only have one laptop and one iPad so there’s a limit to how many things I can have open.

On the other hand I can’t clip images for tokens, NPC portraits and battlemaps from a physical both.

I’m highly unlikely to run a published campaign that doesn’t have a digital and a physical option. Usually I’ll get digital first if there’s a pdf version and then by the hardback if it’s looking good. Did that with Raiders of the Serpent Sea just before Christmas and Modiphius were kind enough to credit my pdf purchase against the price of the hardback (which comes with the free pdf) very good customer service I though! So credit to Modiphius.

For those strange folk that might be interested my set up is usually

• Hard copy open for the adventure
  • Laptop for the VTT
  • iPad for supplementary adventure information. NPC details etc
  • iPhone for looking stuff up on the fly - rules questions, spell details, improvised monster stats etc

Sweat those assets, baby!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

I believe the word processing program in question was Microsoft Works.

Remove ads