• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dilreen's Magic Aura

What level should "Dilreen's Magic Aura" be?

• 2nd Level

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3rd Level

Votes: 0 0.0%

Jimlock

Adventurer
A few months ago I posted this spell, which is nothing more than Magic Aura for auras on the person rather than auras on items.

I've added some more text to make it more explicit and I come again asking for your vote since the last thread died out with two votes only.:erm:

So here it goes:

Dilreen's Magic Aura
Illusion (Glamer)
Level: Brd 1, Magic 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: One day/level (D)
Saving Throw: None; see text
Spell Resistance: No

You alter a personal magical aura so that it does not register to spells and special abilities that detect magical auras (such as Detect Magic, Arcane Sight and any spell or special ability based on those), or so that it registers as a magic aura of a kind you specify. (You can alter the school of magic, and the aura's power as per Detect Magic's table, with the only restriction being that you cannot emulate an aura stronger than the one you are affecting. For example, if you are altering a "Strong" Aura, you can emulate a "Faint", "Moderate" or "Strong" aura, but not an "Overwhelming" one).

Dilreen's Magic Aura affects a single magical aura deriving from any spell you cast on yourself, or from any personal Spell-Like or Supernatural Ability.
By means of this spell you cannot misdirect information from divination spells and powers that reveal auras which are not magical (Detect Evil, Detect Undead, Discern Lies, and the like).

The aura to be altered or concealed, need not be active at the time of casting. The spellcaster designates the aura and it's alteration when he casts the spell, and the aura will be affected no matter when it appears, or how many times it reappears on the person. So for example, the caster may designate Disguise Self's Illusion aura to be concealed, even when he is not yet under its effects, and Dilreen's Magic Aura will conceal the specific aura no matter how many times the caster casts Disguise Self on himself, until the spell ends.
Finally, the spell does not emanate a magical aura of it's own.

One final note: This spell is not supposed to replace the SRD Magic Aura. It is supposed to coexist alongside it. (The one affects item auras, the other personal auras).

So what level should this spell be?

Last edited:

anest1s

First Post
The duration is too long, 24hours would be fine for a 1st lvl spell. If it was hours per level, maybe even cantrip?

Dozen

First Post
I'd rephrase it into a more formal shape. And the changes you can bestow in the strength of the aura with the altering variant should be specified. You don't want players running around with the equalient of a big sign saying 'I'm a deity, epic level monsters, come get me!' or 'Everyone below 1000th level can suck on the Overwhelming daze effect LAWLS'. Not that any DM would allow it to happen, but trust me, they don't want certain players bugging them either, and the kind feels entitled to propose retarded ideas or even try doing stupid sh?t without asking beforehand if something is not clearly stated in a spell description.

EDIT: Answering the question at hand, I agree with anest1s, 0-1st level should suffice, unless you can boost aura strength higher than twice your caster level with it.

Last edited:

Jimlock

Adventurer
The duration is too long, 24hours would be fine for a 1st lvl spell. If it was hours per level, maybe even cantrip?

This was my initial reaction as well... but then I thought of how it would scale with levels and I decided to keep the SRD Magic Aura duration. As spellcasters grow, so do the auras on them multiply. Imagine a mid to high level caster wanting to hide his auras... with a 24 hour duration he would have to spend all his 1st level slots...

You don't want players running around with the equalient of a big sign saying 'I'm a deity, epic level monsters, come get me!' or 'Everyone below 1000th level can suck on the Overwhelming daze effect LAWLS'.

This is already possible with the SRD Magic Aura!:)

Still, I'm considering some changes in this regard.

Jimlock

Adventurer
OP UPDATED

I added:
You can alter the school of magic, and the aura's power as per Detect Magic's table, with the only restriction being that you cannot emulate an aura stronger than the one you are affecting. For example, if you are altering a "Strong" Aura, you can emulate a "Faint", "Moderate" or "Strong" aura, but not an "Overwhelming" one.

So [MENTION=6698275]Dozen[/MENTION] I took your advice.
No more 'I'm a deity, epic level monsters, come get me!' :)

Dozen

First Post
OP UPDATED

I added:
You can alter the school of magic, and the aura's power as per Detect Magic's table, with the only restriction being that you cannot emulate an aura stronger than the one you are affecting. For example, if you are altering a "Strong" Aura, you can emulate a "Faint", "Moderate" or "Strong" aura, but not an "Overwhelming" one.

So @Dozen I took your advice.
No more 'I'm a deity, epic level monsters, come get me!' :)

And... what if it already was overwhelming? Can't you still boost it to 1000th level then?

Jimlock

Adventurer
And... what if it already was overwhelming? Can't you still boost it to 1000th level then?

To do that, it would mean that you are in the epic levels... minimum 21.

At this point... if it's my spell's fault that the game is broken... so be it.:D

Don't forget that the SRD Magic Aura lets you emulate an overwhelming aura from level 1!!!

At least my spell makes you wait until the epic levels. That's gotta count for something right?:cool:

Last edited:

Remove ads