• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dimension Door question

DizzyKungFu

First Post
The Dimension Door spell description says that "After using this spell, the character can’t take any other actions until the character's next turn."

Now what my players have been doing is DDing with another, then that person takes their full turn after the DDer goes. Should this be allowed? I can't find any rule that says otherwise, but it seems rather cheezy.

Does anyone know anything that could help? Thanks.

MerakSpielman

First Post
The cheese seems supported by the rules. The whole "can’t take any other actions until the character's next turn" thing is pretty silly, IMHO. It means you can move, then cast DD, but not cast DD and then move. I think the purpose of that phrase is to prevent a hasted spellcaster from using a quickened DD, casting a spell on the enemy, and DDing out before they can act. Now THAT would be cheesy.

hammymchamham

First Post
As I understand it and rule it, it goes something like this:

PC1: A 12th level fight
PC2: A 12th level mage

PC1: Ok I tell the mage "Can you get me over to that big nasty monster quickly?" I ready my action so if I somehow get teleported near the monster I attack
PC2: "OK!" Mage casts DD and moves the fighter and himself right next to the nasty monster
PC1: Does 1 attack (he already had a readied action)

PC 1 now goes right after PC2.

DizzyKungFu

First Post
Why couldn't PC1 simply delay so that he could take a full-round of actions (or attacks) once he's been brought along by the DD? Or more simply, what if PC2 goes first?

justfisch

First Post
I too think that it is rather silly that a character DDing can't take any other actions after doing so. The only reason I can think of is that DD lets you move around the combat area too quickly, so for balance reasons you have to sit out the rest of that turn. You could always try allowing movement or whatever extra actions the character has left to see if it unbalances things in your game. Just remember that there are several nasty monsters that also have DD at will, you might want to put the party up against them to see what happens:)

cheers,
justfisch

MerakSpielman

First Post
Go ahead and remove the restriction. If they try the DD in, spell, DD out combo I mentioned above, make a quick house-rule that you can only DD once per round.

DanMcS

Explorer
I don't think it's even necessary to forbid such whacky combos as dooring in, blasting, and dooring back out (which will be impossibly with 3.5 haste anyway, right?). Just let the players know that if they create new dazzlingly-effective tactics like that, their enemies will pick up on them too.

Destil

Explorer
Originally posted by DanMcS (which will be impossibly with 3.5 haste anyway, right?)
You should be able to can get in one, with a contingency to DD back out and a quickend spell to blast.... but that's it.

Remove ads