• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Diplomacy +23 at 3rd level??? Help, my player must be wrong!!!

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
Henry said:
On the other hand, it takes TEN ROUNDS of talking to change someone's reaction, so it's not that unbalanced. If the enemy is attacking you, most combats are done and over with in one minute anyway. :)

Unless you take a -10 to the roll and then you can do it in one round.

And then I read a bit more of the thread to find this has already been brought up......sorry. :heh:

Last edited:

was

Adventurer
His total looks legit to me, but I fail to see why anyone would spend two feats to get it that high. Feats are far too precious a commodity.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
dyx said:
I don't know if anybody posted the link yet since i only read the first page of the thread, but check out Rich Burlew's take on the diplomacy skill which could come in handy here
Heh!

Always a good idea to read the thread first.

I like rkanodia's elaboration on the rules. They seem like they'd work pretty well.

One other possibility would be to not adjust the DC by the target's HD, but instead to adjust it by a difference in level between them. Use as the base DC the coolness of the deal (offering someone a fantastic deal is DC 0; offering someone a rotten deal is DC 40 or more). If you're within 5 levels of theirs, there's no level adjustment; otherwise, there's a +/-5 adjustment for every 5 levels or HD of difference (rounded down) between you and the target.

But rkanodia's solution probably works better.

Daniel

Rystil Arden

First Post
As a tangent on the "Diplomacy Ultra-Min-Maxer" example, I've had a PC in my campaign who was on his way to one-upping that. They had the Bliss domain (+4 divine to Diplomacy), a Friendly Psicrystal, and a Diplomacy+ familiar (that last one's not in the PH, but its reasonable based on the usual familiar abilities). Combined with a Marshal cohort from Miniature's Handbook with 22 Charisma (using the aura that gives the Marshal's Charisma bonus as an added bonus to all Charisma-based skills) and someone using an Aid Another check, this gives an additional +18 over the Diplomacy Ultra-Min-Maxer. So the true Diplomacy Min-Maxer can succeed at convincing his archnemesis to an unfavourable plan (DC 75) on a 1.

Glyfair

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
So the true Diplomacy Min-Maxer can succeed at convincing his archnemesis to an unfavourable plan (DC 75) on a 1.

Kind of reminds me of a Runelord (from the Runelords series) with incredible endowments of "voice."

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
I play with a couple guys who are the absolute masters at this sort of thing. It really challenges me as a DM to "one up" them, let me tell ya.

I love this game.

nobodez

Explorer
3rd Level Diplomat Min-Max

- Half-Elf (18 Cha, 10 Int)
- Marshal 3 (2 Minor Auras (+4 each): Motivate Dexterity, Motivate Charisma; Skill Focus (diplomacy))
- Negotiator Feat
- Complementary Insight (CV)

6 ranks (Diplomacy)
5 ranks (Bluff, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Sense Motive)
Speak Language (Celestial, Infernal, Abyssal)

6 (ranks) + 9 (synergy) + 3 (skill focus) + 2 (negotiator) + 2 (racial) + 4 (charisma) + 4 (motivate charisma) = +30 without equipment

Potion of Eagle's Splendor: 300 gp (adds +4 to charisma, raising overall bonus to +34).
If instead you go with Marshal 2 (for the skills) with a level in Psion (telepath) with the Psicrystal Affinity feat (bonus from Psion 1), the bonus is now at +37.

Throw a Telempathic Projection on the subject, and not only do they start out at a higher attidtude, but you then get another +4 bonus in Diplomacy versus them, so you're now at a +41 bonus, but if you take 10 as a full-round action, you get get a hostile creature to helpful in one standard action and a full-round action.

that's about my limit at 3rd level, sorry.

Remove ads