• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Diplomacy and PCs

Death

First Post
I am DM in a group and there is a party conflict. A wizard would like the group to do something, but sorcerer would like it the opposite way. The players basically argue about how to deal with captured assassin. I was sick of this half an hour debate, so I have demanded opposite diplomacy check, and the winner will have his own way dealing with the assassin.
The question is:
1. Can diplomacy be used inside PC party according to the rules? (I didn't find anything on that subject)

2. Can perhaps NPC use his diplomacy skill on the PCs, trying to persuade them to do something?
(I figure, that this could be difficult, because DM would have all the decision, which mission PCs would choose and also dragons have insane diplomacy checks. They would simply persuade PCs what to do almost all the time)

3. If diplomacy checks can't be used inside the group, how to solve the situation?

Haradim

Explorer
Technically, no character, PC or NPC, can use Cha based skills vs. a PC. This is actually stated somewhere in one of the books, if I recall; the player is supposed to be in full control of the character at all times, unless magic is involved (charm, for example).

However, if your players are willing to respect that so-and-so NPC rolled a 36 on his Diplomacy check, and act in character according to the fact that he rolled a good check, then you can always break this 'rule'.

Otherwise though, such skills are useless in the hands of NPCs/monsters, and probably won't be useful to solve your problem. If your players choose not to adhere to such rolls in character, you might just have to let it play out; sooner or later, someone has to do something....even if that means other assassins show up, to silence either the PCs or the captured assassin.

Vaxalon

First Post
The way to deal with PC's arguing, especially in a dungeon, is to have monsters attracted by the noise.

If they start arguing in safer environments, and it goes on too long, call the game. Tell them to either settle it now, or settle it over email between now and the next game, and pull out the MtG cards.

The only exception to this would be if they were arguing it in an entirely in-character and entertaining way.

hammymchamham

First Post
As a player, I have done opposed charisma checks for situations like this, but that was my choice, not due to the DM or other players. I had a negative charisma (or a 0), and this was against the cleric who had a +3 charisma, so off the bat he had an advantage.

Let the players decide... and if they need some pushing, have the assassin escape. would make a great reacurring villian. That would really teach them.

Endur

First Post
Diplomacy versus players

Well, if an NPC has a high diplomacy skill or rolled very high, explain to the players that this NPC is very nice, persuasive, their friend, someone they look up to, etc.

If the party can't decide on a course of action, partially it depends on how many players are in the party.

If its just two players and a GM, then probably the best thing to do is just wait for a decision, or follow the random event approach(assassin escapes, wandering monster, etc.).

If there are more than two players, just start role-playing some stuff for the other players while the first two players argue over the assassin's fate.

Tom

Remove ads