• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disarming a character from powers?

Rechan

Adventurer
We've been informed (Somewhere) that teleporting required contigious spacing, so a cell with a door, not bars, would work.
I think that was from the playtest where the eladrin teleported through a grate.

In other words, they need line of effect.

Another thing to think about: The fey step is explained as the eladrin stepping into the Feywild and then stepping out into the Real World. But if there is a structure in the Feywild on that exact spot, I can't see the guy just popping in and walking through a wall of a Feywild building.

Which would probably be a good idea to keep in mind when building a prison. :)

There's also the option of keeping something in the Feywild to watch for such a thing.

Rechan

Adventurer
Yikes, x2! Nothing so significant from what I'm thinking. I was contemplating using the implied setting's Tiefling empire as still being around, but in such dire straights (after the Dragonborn assault) that the Tieflings are using hobgoblins as the entirety of their manpower and infrastructure, while the Tiefs stand as aristocrats in the ruins of their empire.

Nope, still in planning stages. Got to wait for the rules to come, since they start off normal and spend a couple weeks in jail so they develop their abilities in there. So slowly want to introduce new powers, class features over the length of the session. That would be awesome to see :) Thanks.
If you'd like the book (it has rules for fashioning improvised tools like lockpicks, etc!), gimmie an email and I'll send it over.

Irda Ranger

First Post
hong said:
The correct solution to this scenario is not to start the PCs in a jail.
Oh shush, hong. It may be a cliche, but all adventure starts are cliched at this point. Starting out in jail really isn't that different than "An old man walks into the Inn where you're having an ale."

hong said:
Nevertheless, if you insist on starting them in jail, the first part of the escape plan is when the eladrin fey steps out.
This is a good point. Make sure your story makes sense given the PC's powers and rules. Otherwise you may be tempted to say "No, you can't fey step out. Because I say so."

However, I like to think that D&D-world has found solutions to the fey step problem. Although normally an eladrin can fey step around, I bet bank vaults and jails have a way of making sure they don't skip out with all the money or spring all the prisoners. Maybe the walls have been blessed (using a Ritual!) by Clerics of Sul (God of "You ain't goin' nowhere, sucka!").

KidSnide

Adventurer
hong said:
The correct solution to this scenario is not to start the PCs in a jail.
I have to say, capturing PCs is a canonical plot device. I've played many prison-break adventures, and there is nothing structurally wrong with the idea.

hong said:
Nevertheless, if you insist on starting them in jail, the first part of the escape plan is when the eladrin fey steps out.
You do, however, have to think about the rules for your world. IMC, fey step will be a super-fast movement that can be used to jump over pits or avoid OAs.

Not having seen the implement rules, it's hard to say how best to capture a wizard. However, I would tend to think that taking away the wand and binding the wizard's hands would be a good start. But that goes more to Still Casting than implements. It does seem like /only/ taking the wand away is not enough. That doesn't bother me much since an empty-fisted Conan is still plenty dangerous.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Yeah, lol... Being chased and being outlaws are going to be a big part of the campaign. Plus with the tech boost and being outlaws I can bring some Wild-West cliches into a quite Gothic Horror setting; train robberies, horse chases, shoot-outs, etc.

I can't wait till they try to escape the capital city (where the prison is) and have to sneak through the streets and underbelly, being stalked by aberrations and Inquistors and finally reaching a locomotive station. Where they got to fight off attackers while waiting to jump onto a train (can you say massive terrain-threat/trap with trains rolling back and forth along the tracks).

Edit: Got email, thanks again :)

DandD

First Post
Irda Ranger said:
Oh shush, hong. It may be a cliche, but all adventure starts are cliched at this point. Starting out in jail really isn't that different than "An old man walks into the Inn where you're having an ale."

This is a good point. Make sure your story makes sense given the PC's powers and rules. Otherwise you may be tempted to say "No, you can't fey step out. Because I say so."

However, I like to think that D&D-world has found solutions to the fey step problem. Although normally an eladrin can fey step around, I bet bank vaults and jails have a way of making sure they don't skip out with all the money or spring all the prisoners. Maybe the walls have been blessed (using a Ritual!) by Clerics of Sul (God of "You ain't goin' nowhere, sucka!").
Well, the tier-excerpt (or was it the powercard one?) did mention that there are rituals that blockade all sorts of teleportation.

Of course, there is also the question why the GM should deny the players to use their cool abilities.

Dunamin

First Post
If I recall correctly, a teleportation-blocking ritual has been mentioned in preview material, so that’s one solution in preventing fey step and other minor teleportation effects.

I imagine there will be a more general “imprisoning” ritual, to set up fair conditions for restraining PCs and other extraordinary individuals.

Vaeron

Explorer
VannATLC said:
If, for some reason, VSM is totally missing as a prequisite for spells, I will be re-instituting it. Thats the only thing I think is necessary.

That is a HUGE step backwards. Are wizards the only class you're going to require to be able to speak and have extra components to use their inherent powers, or are you going to require warriors to use VSM also? Wizards are magic, they can use ghost sound as a cantrip whether they can wave their hands around or not. Whether they have magic marbles, or whatever, or not. Whether they can even SPEAK or not.

I strongly recommend against violating the 4e spirit by so drastically limiting the ability of one of the classes.

beholdsa

Explorer
Vaeron said:
That is a HUGE step backwards. Are wizards the only class you're going to require to be able to speak and have extra components to use their inherent powers, or are you going to require warriors to use VSM also? Wizards are magic, they can use ghost sound as a cantrip whether they can wave their hands around or not. Whether they have magic marbles, or whatever, or not. Whether they can even SPEAK or not.

I strongly recommend against violating the 4e spirit by so drastically limiting the ability of one of the classes.

Who bloody cares about the spirit of 4e or the spirit of whatever ediion or game you're playing as written? Do what you think is right for your campaign and your players. You know the situation best. Use your own judgment.

Last edited:

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Rechan said:
For the martial classes (and for the most part, the paladin), taking away their weapons prevent them from doing their thing.

Not necessarily. According to the recent Powers excerpt powers with the Weapon tag could be used with unarmed attacks. Rogues and archery specialized rangers will obviously have a tougher time with those scenarios.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads