• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disarming a character from powers?

webrunner

First Post
Getting out of prison should be an interesting challenge, full of intrigue and stealth

it shouldn't be MAGE HAND TELEPORT MAGE HAND TELEPORT HEY LOOK WE'RE FREE

Imban

First Post
Vaeron said:
That is a HUGE step backwards. Are wizards the only class you're going to require to be able to speak and have extra components to use their inherent powers, or are you going to require warriors to use VSM also? Wizards are magic, they can use ghost sound as a cantrip whether they can wave their hands around or not. Whether they have magic marbles, or whatever, or not. Whether they can even SPEAK or not.

I strongly recommend against violating the 4e spirit by so drastically limiting the ability of one of the classes.

Um, I really hope you just didn't think this post through. Fighters already have somatic and focus components by virtue of swinging a sword around. I imagine verbal components would be more a Warlord thing with their shouts of encouragement and all.

the Jester

Legend
Guild Goodknife said:
I wonder if you can use Feystep when you're chained to a spot. I could see this being a restriction as in "You can't Feystep when you're imobilized. Being tied down or chained to a spot imobilizes you".
I mean, you can't Feystep out of a grapple, can you? (I guess the answer is "we don't know ;) )

Jesus, I hope you can! That's half the point of a short-distance teleport imho.

Celebrim

Legend
First, starting the campaign in a prison is just starting a campaign in a dungeon with a plausible excuse for how you got there. It's better than starting a campaign in an inn, and it has the advantage of the adventure starting on page one rather than page 12 (or 30) as some even published adventures.

Secondly, a campaign in which players can't be captured is one where they can't lose without a TPK. It's always good to have lesser means of enforcing defeat than simply killing all the PCs.

A feel for you though, because the rules definately aren't set up to handle this sort of thing. My first instinct is to say that players with problimatic powers start the game drugged, and that the first obvious skill challenge is somehow managing to trick the gaurds so that the drugged players don't get thier daily dose of herbs/gas/whatever. However, the problem with this is that per the rules things don't knock you out for lenghty periods. You've just introduced a substance with an extended effect where saves don't limit the effect to in practice 2-5 rounds. As a player, getting ahold of this game breaking drug and using it against enemies is going to be a high priority. Keep that in mind when designing the scenario.

The other thing I would say is that in any campaign, utterly common abilities should have utterly common defences. If fey step exists, then fey step-kryptonite exists (and is common and cheap) because the alternative - that anyone suspected of being able to fey step is simply summarily executed rather than jailed is problimatic. As others have suggested, I definately would go with something like 'cold iron shackles' inhibit fey step.

I would be sad if a wizard can memorize dailies without having a spellbook ready or doing ritual without a ritual book ready...

a wizard should ened his spellbook. he should not be completely impotent, but hampered when his book is stolen...

arscott

First Post
Guild Goodknife said:
I wonder if you can use Feystep when you're chained to a spot. I could see this being a restriction as in "You can't Feystep when you're imobilized. Being tied down or chained to a spot imobilizes you".
I mean, you can't Feystep out of a grapple, can you? (I guess the answer is "we don't know ;) )
The immobilized condition blocks all movement modes execpt teleportation, IIRC.

deathdonut

First Post
Feystep allows you to teleport through features that aren't in the Feywild.

Have the jail in a natural cavern (or an unnatural one) and it may be similarly restrictive in both planes.

As for restricting spellcasting, you could limit daily powers by assuming sleep deprivation, but that won't stop cantrips. I'd probably either accept that they will be able to perform some magic or define your own universe restrictions (somatic components are required).

Patlin

Explorer
"The device strapped to your neck is called a compliance collar. Any sort of magic, arcane or divine, will cause it to shoot necrotic energy into your body. Even a cantrip will be extremely painfull, any sort of teleportation will be fatal."

It works, but unless the situation changes rapidly all of your divine and arcane characters are going to be really upset with you in short order.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads