Discovery Trailer

I commented earlier that I disliked the monochromatic uniforms. Especially since this series is set following the events of the The Cage but before the events of TOS. Obviously they couldn't use those uniforms directly, but they could have done something similar but updated. Something that looks casually similar and makes you think of the turtleneck uniforms without being a straight update.

(That said, gold/ silver/ bronze for departments does kinda work.)

I agree that the rank pips are pretty small. That would be hard to see in person, let alone on a TV screen.
There's so much piping already, it would have been easy to add more to the sleeves. Or give everyone varying epulattes.

Oh well, maybe they'll tweak after the first season.

They've also released a new trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqBz8QsZNcQ&feature=share

Yeah... generic space battles. That's exactly what I don't want from a Star Trek. There's a dozen other science fiction shows and films I turn to for spaceships blowing each other up.
That's way down the list for Trek.

Ryujin

Legend
I don't see any reason to invoke the "Mary Sue" trope. Even in the trailers alone we can see she has anger issues and struggles with feelings of insecurity over not being "Vulcan enough".
As mentioned by Morrus, Kirk fits that so much better, and certainly qualifies for the "wish fulfilment" aspects.

I like the idea of focusing on the first officer. The captain should stay on the ship after all, so if much of the story is elsewhere then the officer in charge of the away teams is the main character. Riker was very much the main character of the away team focused episodes.

You don't. I see it as a possibility. I tend to start with low expectations this sort of thing so I'm either pleasantly surprised, or at the very least not horribly let down.

I would love a show which focused on lower decks and you rarely saw the bridge crew.

As would I. "Redshirt Diaries" gives a little comedic taste of that but I'd certainly line up for a real lower decks show, set on a large cruiser of the line. "Deep Space Nine" gave us something very different in that the universe had to come to them, in the stories. Engineering, Support, Medical..... all of that daily work would be good to see, along with how it interacts with Command.

Ryujin

Legend
I commented earlier that I disliked the monochromatic uniforms. Especially since this series is set following the events of the The Cage but before the events of TOS. Obviously they couldn't use those uniforms directly, but they could have done something similar but updated. Something that looks casually similar and makes you think of the turtleneck uniforms without being a straight update.

(That said, gold/ silver/ bronze for departments does kinda work.)

I agree that the rank pips are pretty small. That would be hard to see in person, let alone on a TV screen.
There's so much piping already, it would have been easy to add more to the sleeves. Or give everyone varying epulattes.

Oh well, maybe they'll tweak after the first season.

They've also released a new trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqBz8QsZNcQ&feature=share

Yeah... generic space battles. That's exactly what I don't want from a Star Trek. There's a dozen other science fiction shows and films I turn to for spaceships blowing each other up.
That's way down the list for Trek.

I could get behind a ship design something like the one that appears at 1:08, but it doesn't look like it lasts very long.

Ryujin

Legend
I see it as a possibility there's a talking dog they haven't told us about. But there's no evidence to suggest it. Your approach sounds kinda depressing.

Sure, except that while it's debatable that there's evidence for The Mary Sue, there's absolutely not even debatable evidence of a talking dog.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sure, except that while it's debatable that there's evidence for The Mary Sue, there's absolutely not even debatable evidence of a talking dog.

I'd be really interested in seeing this evidence. It hasn't been presented in this thread! (Unless "raised by Sarek" qualifies, but I'd struggle to find anything to debate there.)

Mallus

Legend
The full trailer *really* makes Discovery look like Star Trek: Mass Effect. Seeing as I'm playing through ME2 right now, I'm okay with that. More than okay.

From what we can see at this juncture, the trailer looks like a -- gasp -- contemporary movie or TV trailer. I'm not quite sure how you make a trailer that conveys Star Trek without verging into parody or pantomime, i.e. a Shatnerian soliloquy, a TNG boardroom... ahem... ready-room meeting. We'll have to wait a bit longer to see if this feels right. For whatever value of "feels like Star Trek" you use.

I'm looking forward to have the first new televised Trek in over a decade. If nothing else, it'll give me a space show to watch after Killjoys (hint: watch Killjoys it's surprisingly great) wraps and before the 3rd season of The Expanse begins (hint: also a great show).

Remove ads