Discovery Trailer

Richards

Legend
What police procedural show would you put before Trek each week?
Because you want the show before and after to have a similar audience so people keep watching. And it needs to match the regular demographics of the network so the long term advertisers show their products to the appropriate demographics.

What's good? One of the three NCIS? Survivor? MacGuyver? Criminal Minds?
I don't think I'm fully understanding your argument. Are you claiming that only police procedurals would have the same demographics as a Star Trek show? Are you claiming that this Star Trek show is so much different (and possibly better) than the rest of the CBS programming that the network simply had no choice but to put it in a streaming model?

Personally, for the shows I choose to watch, I pay no attention to whatever shows are on before or after the show I'm interested in watching.

Johnathan

Water Bob

Adventurer
I remember being a kid and watching TMP for the first time. All we had was the three seasons of TOS. The show started, and there were these Klingon vessels. They looked like D-7, but with a lot more "stuff" on their hulls. OK, loved it.

Then, we cut inside...who are those guys? Those are Klingons? Really? Why'd they change 'em?

But...I dug it.

As for Discovery's Klingons--their "look"--I could live with the change. It doesn't really bother me. I'd be just as happy if they looked like TMP Klingons or TOS Klingons.

I don't think I'm fully understanding your argument. Are you claiming that only police procedurals would have the same demographics as a Star Trek show? Are you claiming that this Star Trek show is so much different (and possibly better) than the rest of the CBS programming that the network simply had no choice but to put it in a streaming model?
I'm saying Star Trek is completely different from every other show on the network. That the demographics of their audience is completely different from those who would watch Star Trek.
Google the CBS fall lineup. They have sports, a couple sitcoms, Survivor, and a whole mess of police proceedurals. That's what they air.
Putting Star Trek is like putting CSI or Real Housewives on SyFy. It's just not a good fit.

Personally, for the shows I choose to watch, I pay no attention to whatever shows are on before or after the show I'm interested in watching.
That's great for you.
But the people in charge of TV networks have to worry about that stuff. Because they have to cultivate an audience. Because they pay the bills through advertisements, which requires pairing ads with shows. You can't have a show aimed at 20-30 year olds with commercials aimed at 40-50 year olds. Your sponsors won't make money, and will go elsewhere.
They want people who watch their channel to turn into multiple shows and not just watch one.

CBS isn't a good fit for Star Trek. They tried going against their demographics a couple years ago with Supergirl. And it didn't work well.

They do have other networks.
Do you think Star Trek would be a better fit for the CW? Pair it with Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, or Arrow. I'm sure everyone is craving a Star Trek show about attractive 20yo with drama based on secrets.
Maybe Showtime. Add some gratuitous nudity and heavy sexuality.

Wolf72

Explorer
Could live without the mutated klingons. I grew up on TOS, but I like Work ... [typo! ... Meant Worf!] and that klingon style.

Wait? this is 10 years before the newest Trek movies? ... are they going to try to complete a story arc, or fall apart like Enterprise (it just really wonky and odd imo)?

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
I can see why people are a bit taken aback at the new Klingons. It did kinda make me raise an eyebrow as well. One thing I'm not sure I like is the new Klingon space ships. All chunky and blocky. But, they did explain it in the show too, mentioning the warrior culture decorations and whatnot and especially with the Beacon at the beginning. I'm kinda waffling back and forth whether it's something I like or not.

There was a bit back in Enterprise where they talked about some sort of genetic disease that was affecting Klingons and changing their appearance. I wonder if this show ties in with that.

OTOH, I watched this on Netflix Japan. So, I had to go into the subtitles menu. I dunno about other places, but, here, it's sub'd in English, Japanese, Portuguese and Klingon. How incredibly geeky is it that they subtitled the entire show in Klingon? O.O :D

Remove ads