• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Discovery Trailer

Water Bob

Adventurer
Honestly, we care about as much about your local broadcast of Star Trek is as you care about when our local broadcast of The Walking Dead is. The difference is we don’t whine about it.

That's a pretty snarky, crappy thing to say. Are you trying to be a jerk and upset me?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's a pretty snarky, crappy thing to say. Are you trying to be a jerk and upset me?

I’m trying to persuade people to stop threadcrapping about their local broadcasts of a show everybody else is trying to talk about. Because everybody has been showing you that exact courtesy for years. Let’s not set a really unfortunate precedent.

Last edited:

Water Bob

Adventurer
I’m trying to persuade people to stop threadcrapping about their local broadcasts of a show everybody else is trying to talk about. Because everybody has been showing you that exact courtesy for years. Let’s not set a really unfortunate precedent.

You should say that, then, instead of going the negative route. It doesn't provoke the reaction that you're looking for. From my POV, I was participating in this thread, and then you threw out the fighting words unprovoked.

CapnZapp

Legend
Discovery is a US show, not available to the general US population. Of course that is bound to come up, and indeed it has done so at EVERY place that hosts a discussion about it: AV Club, the Verge, rpg.net etc etc. Just like those places, this is predominantly visited by Americans...

The fact us Europeans has labored under similar circumstances for... well, ever really, and that this might be a very rare turning of the tables is probably not something we should expect Americans to just soak up silently... 😉

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Hussar

Legend
I'm curious about something. On Netflix Japan (which is where I live), ST Discovery is presented as a Netflix Original. CBS is barely mentioned. Just at the tail end of the credits. So, which is it? Is it a CBS show or a Netflix show?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm curious about something. On Netflix Japan (which is where I live), ST Discovery is presented as a Netflix Original. CBS is barely mentioned. Just at the tail end of the credits. So, which is it? Is it a CBS show or a Netflix show?

Says that here, too.

Ryujin

Legend

It's produced by CBS, funded by NetFlix.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It’s like when “Rome” gets called “HBO’s Rome” in the US, when it was made by the BBC and an Italian studio. It’s about funding, distribution rights, and credit agreements. I guess that was part of the agreement between CBS and Netflix.

Hussar

Legend
It's produced by CBS, funded by NetFlix.

Ok, fair enough. Then considering that Netflix is pretty international, and produces LOTS of region specific shows, can we really claim that this is an American TV show? This was created, at least in part, for Netflix's global market, rather than simply something that's for the US first and then trickle out to everyone else.

I mean, it's not really a big shock to see Michael Yeoh in the trailer. They're certainly taking a stab at trying to break into Asian markets. Which also goes a long way towards explaining the different looks of the show. Sure, they're drawing on Trek fans, but, they are trying to expand further. And, for most of the non-US audience, Star Trek means the last three movies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads