• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Discussing about hirelings, henchmen, followers, and cohorts.

Turanil

First Post
Several questions about those people in the PCs' service. Be it either about game mechanics, or from a role-playing standpoint while forgetting about the acual d20 rules.

So, about Hirelings and followers, henchmen and cohorts : what's the difference? I mean, the Leadership feat enables a character to attract a number of followers. However, if a character without this feat can still employ hirelings, what's the difference between simple hirelings and followers?

Well, while leadership is still under the DM's control, the difference is that Followers and Cohorts server the character because of things like loyalty, admiration, or fear. Henchmen and Hirelings are payed thugs; Still under the DM's control, but motivated by $$$. (IE: If they don't get payed, they won't help, and will probably expect payment up front if the service is risky) Though followers and Cohorts who accompany a character on an adventure will expect at least some cut of the treasure.

So if a character is suddenly robbed of all his gold, he may not be able to continue to pay for the services of his hired minions. His followers and cohort, however, will probably stick around. (All though a loss like that might sour their view of their 'great leader')

Ilium

First Post
In my game, you can rely on the loyalty of your followers (and cohort of course) while I make no such promises about mere employees. Also, you don't have to actually pay followers. I assume that whatever it is they do pays for itself. For example, a PC in my group took leadership and has a small mercenary company at his beck and call. Most of the time they are off doing jobs, paying for their own upkeep, but he can use small numbers of them whenever he wants and have them all come to his banner at need.

Another character is probably going to take leadership next level and her followers will be her manor staff and guards. These people will run the manor house, and be paid out of normal taxes taken from the residents of the area.

If these people were hirelings I'd make the player account for where the money is coming from.

Doghead Thirteen

First Post
It's all monetary.

A follower/cohort is working for you because he believes in what you're doing. He's grokked what you stand for, and he likes it. He admires you and wants to help you towards your goal, and he's willing to risk his life for you.

A hireling/henchman is a mercenary. He's in it for the paycheck. He's going to split if the going gets too tough. He's going to take a hike if you run out of cash. You can trust him as far as your wallet extends, and that's it.

Problem is, all too many games don't add the same to NPC's goon squads.

Doghead Thirteen

First Post
Uh, isn't that a GMPC?

(Or DMPC)

Like your definition. So, Henchman = a mercenary with some personality and impact on the campaign.

So, logically, a cohort = the 'non-monetary' equiv of a hireling, while a 'follower' is a developed character who follows a PC.

Good one, Faraer.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Cohorts and Henchman are the same: sidekicks to the PCs or major NPCs.

Followers are just that: NPCs who hold the PCs or NPCs in esteem.

Hirelings are anyone you pay for a service; whether they are a mercenary group or an wizard contracted to cast a spell.

Contacts are picked up from basic roleplaying. They can also be established via Gather Information and rumormongering. They may be friends, but are generally more than acquaintenances.

Enemies are basically people you've angered and are out to get you. Or maybe they've done something to anger you whether they see you as an enemy or not.

Allies are generally only cohorts, followers and fellow PCs (or NPCs for major NPCs). Their Loyalty differs though and they could even be or become enemies.

Loyalty of any of hirelings and contacts have more to do with their alignments and the deals made with them.

Regardless of PC or NPC status these other categories can all change.

I suppose even PC and NPC status can go back and forth. I like Ars Magica's Grog idea. And DMs might also allow NPCs to become PCs when a player wants to create or run a new character.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
So, not to hijack, but what numbers do you use for cohorts. Supose you want a unicorn cohort. Do you use CR+LA or HD+LA to determine the cohorts Level. If your charicter was level 10 you could get a level 8 cohort, so is the unicorn a level 8 cohort or a level 7 cohort? What about creatures without a LA? Is it possible to determin the cohort level?

Ilium

First Post
I wouldn't allow a cohort that didn't have a LA listed. Unicorns are listed with an LA that says (cohort). Those would be fine in my game.

You calculate the cohort's level just as if it was a PC. Hit Dice + Level Adjustment. So a "stock" unicorn would be considered level 8. I would have no problem advancing the cohort's hit dice as the PC went up levels. Unicorns can normally advance to 8 HD (so effectively 12th level). After that you could put on some class levels or consult your GM about advancing the unicorn some other way.

Remove ads