D&D 4E Discussing Movement in 4e

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Actually... all of these respondants' are incorrect. In every D&D world, gravity is greater than in the real world. So the game is absolutely correct in its simulation... humans can only physically run about 9 miles per hour.

Of course, in every D&D world... a hour is 73 minutes long... so you have to make adjustments for that as well.

Don't worry. The designers at Wizard of the Coast have all the physics and math figured out. It's all correct. Every last bit of it.

Dracorat

First Post
Have you even thrown a grenade? They are A LOT heavier then a baseball.

I was going to reply and ask this very same question.

So instead, I'd just like to corroborate. Having thrown a grenade myself, trying to chuck one the distance of first base is no easy task. Indeed, I'd say it's very difficult. If you want accuracy as well... good luck.

Grenades don't bounce neither. A common error with the physics engine in the games which have them.

However, if lobbed (not over-shoulder thrown) it is possible to get someone skilled enough to roll it a few extra feet. With mediocre accuracy.

Since we are on ordnance discussion as well ...

Did you know that claymores state "This side toward enemy" on them in small letters underneath the large ones that say "FRONT".

I still get a chuckle out of that one.

Istar

First Post
D&D is a simulation game usually played on a battlemat approximately 3' x 4' wide. Six squares is plenty of movement to allow for tactical combat and yet still small enough that you can confine battles to a single mat the majority of the time.

Previous editions also had speed issues, though 4th is the first to flat out measure things in squares. Previously it was inches (where 1" = 10' or 10 yards depending on whether you were inside or out. 3e started measuring everything in feet, but everything in cration had a movement rate divisible by 5.

The short of it is that D&D has never attempted to accurately model reality. It's just a game.

What !!!!!!!!!
You crazy, its only a game ?????
Man, why didnt someone tell me that 40 years ago ???

Remove ads