D&D 4E Discussing Movement in 4e

abyssaldeath

First Post
My buddy Gary put it best when he realized that in Star Wars Saga, you could only theoretically throw a grendade less than thirty yards (Less than the distance to first base, an easy throw.) He said:

"I know your a game designer and you probably don't know anything about sports, but I'm sure you know someone who does!"

Have you even thrown a grenade? They are A LOT heavier then a baseball.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Obviously, the stated speeds assume that the creatures are running diagonally.

They also confirm what was obvious from the first designer comments about 4th edition: The designers neither value nor desire that any aspect of the rules model or simulate real physics or economics. Simulationist players are the market that 4th edition decided it did not need.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The movement rules are for combat, in which you'll be keeping your eyes out for danger (characters still have no facing, remember), performing a minor action in addition to movement, and taking free actions like shouting to your buddies - all of which might preclude a flat-out sprint.

If you want to simulate a character running faster than usual out of combat or durring a persuit scenario, or in a race skill challenge, you could use Athletics for sprinting. For a longer-distance race/persuit, use Endurance.

frankthedm

First Post
Upon reviewing movement rules in 4e I've notice a number of peculiarities:

4e defines a turn as 6 seconds. In a turn you can move twice by using both your move action and standard action.

Considering that base movement speed for most characters is 6 squares and running gives +2 squares, that grants a total of 8 squares for 1 move action.

8 squares * 2 move actions = 16 squares.

1 square = 5 feet.
1. If we use the assumption one square is 5 feet across, that still leaves the option of abusing 4E's 1-1-1-1 diagonal movement. By doing that you cover more ground, even though the number of squares is the same.

2. 3E's Run option quadrupled your speed, it quintupled your speed if you had the Run feat. 24 squares, 30 for a practiced runner. I hear those numbers fit better with real world examples.

Sonyuu

First Post
What about charge?

I have this little problem with the charge action in my game. In one previous session with another DM, he claimed that the movement portion of this standard action was, in fact, my own movement action used simutaniously. So, I couldn't take a move action and, right after, one standard action(charge) in the same turn! Is this statement of his right? Or I was cheated?

Steve Jung

Explorer
I have this little problem with the charge action in my game. In one previous session with another DM, he claimed that the movement portion of this standard action was, in fact, my own movement action used simutaniously. So, I couldn't take a move action and, right after, one standard action(charge) in the same turn! Is this statement of his right? Or I was cheated?
No, he was wrong. You can move as a move action before making a charge as a standard action. You can't do the reverse, however. Charging essentially ends your turn, unless you spend an action point. Maybe he's thinking of the 3rd edition rule?

Lizard

Explorer

I had this argument with my DM. He said the same thing as yours.

He was wrong. So is yours.

It's a 3e-ism. There are no 'full round' actions in 4e. (I don't think...)

Sonyuu

First Post
Thank you!

Thanks for your quick answers! Now I'm gonna have a "friendly" chat with my DM about the question ;)! Thank you very much one more time!:D

Remove ads