• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Discussion - General Discussion Thread '09

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
I was thinking more of the draco lich in the background to add flavor to upcoming adventures. There would be little to be gained from taking him on yet but maybe when everyone is epic lvl who knows lol

Just want to add some spice to pull people back to LEW

HM

Trouvere

Explorer
Anyway as it stands the MA was unsuccessful and this being a "living world" we have to figure out the efffects of those failed adventures on the world.
Oh, no, we don't. We can continue to pretend that it never happened. In any case, nothing that occurred in those miserable threads provided evidence that the lichwyrm threat was real. Only one shard was ever sighted, and who's to say that it really was one of the horcruxes phylactery fragments? Let the damn thing die already.

Theroc says it nicely:
I think a large number of LEW members would cry if they saw the MA revived, due to the previous debacle. Granted, I was arriving during the late aftermath...

orsal

LEW Judge
The example of the Mega-Adventure should illustrate, if anything, why it is a *bad* idea to try to choreograph a major world-shaping development. (Actually, more than that, it's an example of why it's a bad idea to let too much responsibility fall into the hands of one person. If Rystil had stayed to finish what he started, it might be looking like a great idea. But the fact remains that, when it was flourishing, LEW was organic, developing through lots of people's small inputs and no efforts at global-scale plot lines.)

So I think this is a bad idea.

Moreover, you seem to think that the failure of the various shard quests ensured the lichwyrm's victory. How so? One set of quests to secure the shards failed. That means that the shards have not been secured, leaving them... exactly where they were before. There is reason to believe that this little-known cult poses a threat of *possibly* immense but really uncertain severity on a time-scale that is completely undetermined. So, there's a story point that we can work with if someone wants to. There's the key. If someone wants to. If any prospective DM has an idea for an adventure revolving around the cult of Vildaxaranthus showing up in <fill in your favourite ENworld locale>, I'd love to consider it. If not, then the cult continues to be secret, of unknown scale (or possbly even apocryphal, as Trouvere suggested).

Myself, my sense of investment in this project called LEW is mostly tied up in the story of Nurlan the minstrel in denial of being an adventurer. It's a storyline I've started, and it's one I want to play out. More than anything, what LEW offers to me, is the opportunity to play this character I've come to love. Everything else I do -- as a judge, a character judge, an occasional DM -- is my way of giving back to the project that I've enjoyed so much. Take away the opportunity to play out his life story, and you've lost my interest.

There is really one reason LEW is flagging so much: a shortage of DMs. I'm a judge, and I can't remember how long it's been since I've seen an adventure proposal. Unless you can convince me that our shortage of DMs is due to the current state of the world, and that a different one would inspire more adventure ideas, I fail to see how your proposal would help, and I can easily see how it would hurt, by destroying the continuity that hooks existing players in.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
That is the second time I have heard that the problem lies in a DM shortage. Could that be in relation to 3.5 being "played out"

I mean would a change in the LEW rules themselves would that attract DMs also I read the proposal rules they seemed daunting to me as a newbie to pbp though everything was dauntinhg then

By a change I was thinking of a 3.5/Pathfinder hybrid system.

HM

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
PFRPG does have an Open SRD (which is an LEW requirement), but we'd have to make sure its compatible with what we already have and that enough of the player-base wants to switch. Depends on how knowledgeable the judges/DMs/Players are on it.

PFRPG is the "new" thing, but I'm not convinced it would do wonders for LEW mainly because most PFRPGers are going to be over at Paizo then here. That being said, there are several active Pathfinder games in Playing the Game.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Can I be blunt here on this topic? I mean, all I feel like sayng is this: just leave it.

If you want to start a hybrid pfrpg/3.5, then do so. make your own thread in your own forum. More power to ya! Call it LPFRPGW if you wish. These rules are 3.5 srd. I love this thread just as it is.

There is a temporary lull as those who are usually dmi'ng are not available at this time. as the economy is sluggish, people do not have all the free time that they had. just wait for a bit if you do want to start your own living world.

I hope I don't get banned for speaking too bluntly, but I feel I was a complete gentleman.

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
That is the second time I have heard that the problem lies in a DM shortage. Could that be in relation to 3.5 being "played out"

I mean would a change in the LEW rules themselves would that attract DMs also I read the proposal rules they seemed daunting to me as a newbie to pbp though everything was dauntinhg then

HM

Holyman, you could DM for LEW. You're DMing the Off to War, you could also DM here. If you really want to help LEW, DMing adventures might help. I mean, I haven't seen any adventure pop up since I joined, and I flew to LEW the moment I realized it existed on the board(meaning early April).

I'm not saying you HAVE to, but that is one way to help that does not involve any drastic changes.

To be honest, I don't feel switching to Pathfinder would really alter a DM's interest, as I think the problem is the DM's are away/busy, not disinterested. Though I may be wrong.

Remove ads