Discussion PHB3 Hybrid Characters

garyh

First Post
And yeah, sure, some combos suck. That's fine. If you want to be a paladin with arcane blasty powers, you can be a hybrid paladin/sorcerer just fine. If you're flexible in how you implement your character vision, you can probably make most things work in a similar fashion.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Yes, there will be some hybrid combos that work poorly, but it should be rather apparent from the outset that a given combo won't work well.

I mean, if you want to play a suboptimal combination, fine. I don't think that the poor choices from an optimization standpoint should set the bar, though. You should look at things like thaneborn barbarian/inspiring warlord, or wizard/swordmage - combos that at least share main ability scores.

I will say, though, that it will likely be hard to make truly effective hybrids, unless both classes fill the same role and share a main ability. Getting half of each of two roles' role-fulfilling abilities can really cripple you, especially in 4e where the idea seems to be to have specialized characters come together to make a well-rounded team.

CaBaNa

First Post
Very excited for the PHB3, can't wait to play a Hybrid. What's the word on the character sheets? Did that change because of the new wiki, or was that just discussion as well?

fireinthedust

Explorer
Then what would stop you from going practically pure wizard, except you get to walk around in plate?

Anyways, things may look different when the final rules are released. It's all just speculation now.

Well, sure. a minimum would work, but not strictly speaking half.

Although I'd say a Sorcerer/Paladin would be more brutal in plate, as they can really deal out damage, and share a major attack stat (Charisma).
Wizard in plate isn't as big a deal as it might be in 3e. 4e Wizards have Cantrip and sleep, and a hybrid wizard/pally is going to have effectiveness issues with MAD. Having the wimp in the party wearing armor might make them more helpful!

EDIT: Is anyone in the RPGA? Can player choose Hybrid PCs?

renau1g

First Post
No, it's not an approved source as PHB3 isn't out yet. RPGA doesn't allow playtest material (so Psion, Monk are out as well).

re: chracter roles, if you play a two-roled hybrid (the pally/sorceror for example) you would be best as a 5th PC (I think anyways) as that way you get the 4 covered and have a spattering of defender and a bit of striker. Just my 2 coppers.

renau1g

First Post
except psion, monk and assassin are not playtests but previews

Playtest/Preview Classes: If you chose a class that was released as a playtest or preview in Dragon Magazine, when the class is published in a later rulebook, you can retrain out any feats, powers, or skills – not just one of your choice

Turns out I was wrong.... yes you can play those classes.

Remove ads