Discussion PHB3 Hybrid Characters

renau1g

First Post
well, L4W isn't the RPGA and doesn't necesarily have the same rules that they do (i.e. the waiting period, house rules, etc.) so it's not equivalent and I believe that there is a rule that no playtest/preview material is eligible for L4W as it creates conflicts when the final is different from the full write up (see the minotaur, that wasn't even a playtest)

fireinthedust

Explorer
Hybrids are a playtest, tho, right? I'd argue they'd be a good addition, if only because there are so many strikers in the forums. Sure, you'd get Sor/Pallies, but the striker/defender, /controller, /leader would at least mix things up a bit.

if its a preview, sure, but I see the logic for sure on no playtests: the judges have lines outside of checking people's characters (such as making up their own, commenting in the peanuts callery, streaming videos, and making (lets say) truffles at home, from scratch).

Eventually I predict they'll be limited to the more synergistic options (wizard/swordmage, etc.), but will still manage to lower the percentage of pure strikers. That and one or two unoptimized concepts (sans striker class).

Phoenix8008

First Post
Anybody have a link to the Hybrid class info that Wizards put out so far? I looked through their new site some but couldn't find it. I've got a character idea in mind that would be a hybrid ideally, but I'll probably create it as a multiclass for now. Just interested to see what they proposed so far. Checked Amazon and saw that PHB3 doesn't come out till March, so its awhile away still. And it looks like a minotaur and a Githyanki on the cover!? Cool.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Thanks TwoHeads. I see it requires DDI subscription though, so I will have to wait till March to see it I suppose. Thats okay too.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Githyanki: currently they're already in the Monster Manual, so if you really wanted to play one you could. However, I don't think they'll be a "core" race any time soon. There was an article about how WOTC doesn't want to make another Drow situation, where they're basically good guys.

Other than a general principle, of those who can see the Hybrid stuff, are there any glaring reasons why (as written currently) they wouldn't be acceptable in L4W?
Trying to kickstart discussion so we have groundwork laid out for when they do come up for proposals.

I guess this comes down to home games and experience, y'know?

elecgraystone

First Post
Other than a general principle, of those who can see the Hybrid stuff, are there any glaring reasons why (as written currently) they wouldn't be acceptable in L4W?
You mean other than the fact that the PHB3 might be totally different that the playtest version? They come right out and tell you it isn't a finished product.

Remove ads