• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disease questions

mostholy2

First Post
According to the description for the Heal skill used for the purpose of treating disease, it is unclear if a person can do a Heal check on himself, or if the person doing the Heal check has to be someone other than the diseased person. From the DMG, pg. 50:
An ally can use a Heal check in place of your Endurance check to help you recover from a disease as described in the PHB.
From the PHB, pg. 185
Treat disease: Part of the diseased character's extended rest. You must attend the character periodically throughout the extended rest, and you make your Heal check when the rest ends.
As I think it's been established when powers use the term "ally" it doesn't include the character using the power, I believe that there is a case that the heal check from an ally suggests that it also cannot be done by the diseased character to treat his own disease.

Second question, if you maintain the disease state during your first extended rest after being infected, do you continue to apply the initial effects of the disease?

Kordeth

First Post
According to the description for the Heal skill used for the purpose of treating disease, it is unclear if a person can do a Heal check on himself, or if the person doing the Heal check has to be someone other than the diseased person. From the DMG, pg. 50:From the PHB, pg. 185As I think it's been established when powers use the term "ally" it doesn't include the character using the power, I believe that there is a case that the heal check from an ally suggests that it also cannot be done by the diseased character to treat his own disease.

Correct. You can't tend to your own disease with a Heal check.

Second question, if you maintain the disease state during your first extended rest after being infected, do you continue to apply the initial effects of the disease?

Yes. Note that the initial effect entries of all the diseases in the DMG say "until cured." Initial effect is just the place on the disease track where the symptoms start.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads