• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disgaea. People who have gone far in the game, and language experts wanted.

Bjorn Doneerson

First Post
Yeah, I have alotta questions to ask y'all.

What does the title have to do with anything? I don't get it.

A website said one of the classes was "Majin" I've heard this before from my anime fan friends. I tried to find the meaning on line. So far I've come up with: Villain/bad person, genie, magician, large, or mature. Any help?

I hear alot about characters with levels in the thousands. How much work does this take? This seems overwhlming, especially to me, since I suck at video games.

What are some of the more powerful items in the game just out of curiosity?

Anything else anyone has to mention?

Thanx in advance.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Bjorn Doneerson said:
A website said one of the classes was "Majin" I've heard this before from my anime fan friends. I tried to find the meaning on line. So far I've come up with: Villain/bad person, genie, magician, large, or mature. Any help?
Welcome to the wonderful world of Homophones. Japanese is full of 'em. Translating to another language can be difficult, as the phonetics mean nothing out of context. Does Sensei mean 'Master' or 'Doctor'? Depends on who you're talking to, and when. The only way to be somewhat sure is to get the actual characters involved, in this case specifically what Ma is.

'Jin' is normally a character for person, people or man, such as Gaijin (foriegner), Amerijin (American), Nihonjin (Japanese) or jin-iteki (man-made). Majin is most likely a loose term based on context. For example, there were some films in the late 60s about Daimajin, a japanese stone golem. Dai being 'Great', and the character actually being called 'majin'. Dragonball Z features Majin Buu, as another example. In the context of Disgaea, Majin probably roughly translates as 'Demon'.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Well, I'm guessing "Disgaea" is a play on the hippie name for earth, "Gaea".

Also, it's my understanding that you only get into the 1000s of levels if you want to do some of the optional stuff. Though I haven't gotten that far, so I don't know for sure.

Bjorn Doneerson

First Post
trancejeremy said:
Well, I'm guessing "Disgaea" is a play on the hippie name for earth, "Gaea".

Also, it's my understanding that you only get into the 1000s of levels if you want to do some of the optional stuff. Though I haven't gotten that far, so I don't know for sure.

How far are you. I haven't played much, I'm at Vyer's Castle and my characters are mostly around level 5. This game seems overwhelming at times with the idea of characters in the 100's or 1000's level wise...

Remove ads