• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disguise-based rogue P-class?

Fedifensor

Explorer
A player in my home campaign is looking for a disguise-based rogue prestige class. He travels around in a variety of disguises, and wants to focus more on that aspect of his character. We took a look at Spymaster, but found it to be rather bland. Are there any other P-classes out there that fit the concept?

Frostmarrow

First Post
I've played a Spymaster and I loved it. Best 3E character of mine yet. The redressing in 1d3 rounds is a god's send! The character was a cleric of Olidammara in Freeport.

I retired the character and rolled up a new one; an urban ranger. Or so the other players thought. In fact it was the same character under a different guise. Later on I juggled both characters, using the ranger when in town and the cleric on our travels.

At the same time the DM started spreading rumours about a female pirate captain killing and stealing on the high seas. And you guessed it - she was my character too!

Sadly the character was slain in the end. However he might return as no one found the body... :eek:

Last edited:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Frostmarrow said:
I've played a Spymaster and I loved it. Best 3E character of mine yet. The redressing in 1d3 rounds is a god's send! The character was a cleric of Olidammara in Freeport.

I retired the character and rolled up a new one; an urban ranger. Or so the other players thought. In fact it was the same character under a different guise. Later on I juggled both characters, using the ranger when in town and the cleric on our travels.

At the same time the DM started spreading rumours about a female pirate captain killing and stealing on the high seas. And you guessed it - she was my character too!

Sadly the character was slain in the end. However he might return as no one found the body... :eek:

He was the piratess? How did he do that? Tight trousers? :D

No, seriously, spymaster seems quite fun. He might also want to play a character with the ability to change his appearance - like a fey'ri from FR (I played one and had a hell lot of fun with it, but later retired him as the campaign isn't really suited for high cha and social skills)

Fedifensor

Explorer
The main problem with the Spymaster is that it gives just bonuses and minor abilities unless you go to a really high-level in it. The player in question has a 10th level thief with maxed disguise skill and a hat of disguise. The bonuses to disguise aren't needed. He could also take a penalty to his roll to put on a disguise quickly, or just rely on his magic item. Deep Cover is nice, but he probably won't get to that level before the campaign ends.

Epametheus

First Post
I can't remember the issue #, but there was a prestige class named Herald in Dragon a while's back. Gave spontaneous casting with it's own casting progression; also had some unique spells that gave bonuses to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Spot, and a spell that gave a +20 circumstance bonus for 10 minutes/level in the skill of your choice when you cast it.

The class abilities included a Mask Alignment sort of deal (you could make a will save and decide which alignment you registered as whenever someone used a spell that could determine your alignment on you) and permanent Nondetection. I took the class with my bard, but splitting my casting progression wound up hurting me in the long run. It should work perfectly fine for a rogue, though.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
If you can find it on the boards, check out the Mournful Order of the Kinslayers (Kithmourn). More Assassin-y, really, but as I recall they get Thousand Faces and some other disguise abilities. I can't search, but if you find it take a look.

Nine Hands

Explorer
shilsen said:
That's a strong reaction. Care to expand on why?

Actually its sort of a joke. We have a Spymaster in my all elf campaign. Of course he is not an elf, he is human. Instead of keeping all of the other characters in the dark, the Spymaster decided to reveal himself as a human to both the elf supremist and the self styled champion of elves. The champion ended up tossing his cookies after this revelation :)

The guy playing the Spymaster could do MUCH better at it, but such is life....

pawsplay

Hero
I think it would be difficult for a Prestige Class to do much with this idea, other than narrow the class and give you some bonuses. It's hard to do much better than this:

Human
1 Rogue 1 - Deceiftul, Alertness
2 Sorcerer 1
Spells: disguise self, sleep

Then advance as a Rogue. When you hit level 10 Rogue, take Skill Mastery (Disguise, Bluff, Gather Information, etc.)

Remove ads