• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disintegrate question

dunbruha

First Post
Hi-
I have a question about the Disintegrate spell. The saving throw lists: Fortitude partial (object). The text below states that after a ranged touch attack "Any creature struck by the ray takes 2d6 points/caster level". However, lower down it says that "A creature or object that makes a successful Fortitude save is partially affected." Which is it? Does a creature get a saving throw or not? If creatures do, then why are they not mentioned in the saving throw description? Any clarifications would be appreciated. Thanks.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
"A creature or object that makes a successful Fortitude save is partially affected, taking 5d6 points of damage."

So, either 2D6 per level against a creature, or 5D6.

Either one ten foot cube against an object, or 5D6.

Christian

Explorer
I'm gathering that dunbruha is being confused by the (object) in the saving throw line, thinking that it means that only objects get saving throws or somesuch. All this notation means is that the spell can target an object rather than a creature. See PH 3.5 pg 177 for an explanation ...

dunbruha

First Post
Christian said:
I'm gathering that dunbruha is being confused by the (object) in the saving throw line, thinking that it means that only objects get saving throws or somesuch. All this notation means is that the spell can target an object rather than a creature. See PH 3.5 pg 177 for an explanation ...

Yes, that was my confusion. Thanks for the ref to pg177.

Remove ads