• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dismissal vs. Dimensional Anchor: which wins?

azhrei_fje

First Post
I brought this question up on another forum (Monte's RttToEE forum) because it isn't clear to me at all. Some google'ing of certain sites (this one, WotC's, and Monte's) only returned a few hits, and the ENworld hits were many years old (pre-dating 3.5E, I think?).

My question concerns an encounter between a bebilith being called (not summoned) and having dimensional anchor subsequently cast on it.

Question: assuming that dimensional anchor has been cast by an 8th level sorceror, should dismissal work when cast by an 8th level cleric?

Here are links to the spell descriptions: dimensional anchor and dismissal.

Thanks!

Infiniti2000

First Post
azhrei_fje said:
Question: assuming that dimensional anchor has been cast by an 8th level sorceror, should dismissal work when cast by an 8th level cleric?
No. Dismissal is a "similar" effect. The caster level is immaterial.

I agree. If the creature is being sent back from whence it came (i.e., another plane), how exactly is that happening if not by extradimensional travel? (which is prevented)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Is the situation one where someone calls a Bebelith and then casts dimensional anchor on it as a defensive measure then, to ensure that foes can't easily dismiss it?

That is an interesting idea that I'd not come across before.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Is the situation one where someone calls a Bebelith and then casts dimensional anchor on it as a defensive measure then, to ensure that foes can't easily dismiss it?

It's from RttToEE, so if you're interested in spoilers . . .
[sblock] A wererat sorcerer has spent considerable effort/time (behind the scenes, prior to the adventure) developing a bebilith trap. If anyone (including himself) steps within a particular summoning circle, then the bebilith is brought forth, with a dimensional anchor attached (as part of the process). Not entirely known to the creator, however, is the fact that the bebilith is not under anyone's control and he's likely to be there for a while. The party level at this point should be 9-10. If you want more info, check out the module and my website for some interesting handouts (room C140). [/sblock]

frankthedm

First Post
Plane Sailing said:

Was mulling this one over for about 2 years. I had planned to use a bone devil and was thinking abou the ins and outs of thier SLAs.

I say once the anchor is dropped, the recipent is not going anywhere. Maybe i am just a mean DM who likes to cut crafty players off at the pass, but it is hardly fair for a demon to be deprived of its teleportation and still be vulnerable to banishment if the fight turns ugly.

Last edited:

smootrk

First Post
frankthedm said:
I say once the anchor is dropped, the recipent is not going anywhere. Maybe i am just a mean DM who likes to cut crafty players off at the pass, but it is hardly fair for a demon to be deprived of its teleportation and still be vulnerable to banishment if the fight turns ugly for those who anchored it.
I would second this interpretation.

Jack Simth

First Post
frankthedm said:
Was mulling this one over for about 2 years. I had planned to use a bone devil and was thinking abou the ins and outs of thier SLAs.

I say once the anchor is dropped, the recipent is not going anywhere. Maybe i am just a mean DM who likes to cut crafty players off at the pass, but it is hardly fair for a demon to be deprived of its teleportation and still be vulnerable to banishment if the fight turns ugly.
One of the reasons to keep a Quickened Dispel Magic handy when using Planar Binding - it kills your own Dimensional Anchor with no roll, and the Dismissal gets rid of the beasty you couldn't control (hopefully).

dungeon blaster

First Post
So do you allow dimensional anchor to prevent summoned creatures from returning (despite the RAW)? If an anchored summoned creature can travel back to its home plane, why shouldn't a dismissed creature suffer the same fate?

Remove ads