Disney announces Zoopotia 2, Frozen 3, and Toy Story 5 (with Tim Allen back)

Not really a toy story guy, but I've seen some of them, not sure why.

Frozen 3, never saw any of the Frozen films, but as someone who hates like 90% of Pikzar movies because of the animation style, Frozen is just about the only Pikzar movie that feels like an actual Disney movie (I still say bring back 2d).

I've heard great things about Zootopia, but sadly I don't remember what that was.

It odd the LEAST appealing of these series is the one I've seen the most of. I'm going to blame relatives for it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Toy Story already had two solid endings, saying goodbye to Andy and then Woody. Maybe each movie can say goodbye to another character, until the series is just focused on the Slinky dog.

Frozen is a really good franchise that can certainly support another movie. Honestly, it shows wonderful self-control on Disney's part that they didn't turn it into a mediocre TV series.

Likewise, Zootopia's world is so big and well-realized that they can certainly tell more stories in it. And, sadly, there's still plenty of other stories about prejudice out there for them to adapt.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Frozen 3, never saw any of the Frozen films, but as someone who hates like 90% of Pikzar movies because of the animation style, Frozen is just about the only Pikzar movie that feels like an actual Disney movie (I still say bring back 2d).
. . . Frozen was not made by Pixar. I don't know why you think it was. It was made by Disney, though.

MarkB

Legend
Zootropolis still feels like it has some mileage in it, a sequel could certainly work.

Frozen 2's attempt to expand the setting's worldbuilding felt like a poor fit, and Elsa's story felt pretty much tied up in that one. Maybe they could do something there, but it'd need to go in a completely different direction.

Toy Story feels really played out. 4 was a stretch, it's hard to imagine another one adding anything to the franchise.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Frozen 2's attempt to expand the setting's worldbuilding felt like a poor fit, and Elsa's story felt pretty much tied up in that one. Maybe they could do something there, but it'd need to go in a completely different direction.
Frozen 2 was weird. They clearly had big epic ambitions, and then had all of it take place in one small forest glade and a single cave.

It is hilarious that Disney refused to acknowledge all of the discussions about Elsa being LGBT and then lit up the caverns in Frozen 2 with bisexual lighting coding and had her singing about the voice inside her urging her toward forbidden-to-society desires. (That said, she doesn't need to be gay or bi for Frozen to have tried to reject the idea that little girls should spend all their time thinking about being wives.)

Honestly, they need to bring in some DMs to help them with their world building. They've got interesting stuff with elementals, a gorgeous faux-Nordic/Sami setting, some information about other realms across the sea. Good D&D campaigns have been built with a lot less.

I think they could do more with Anna.

Or -- and this would freak a lot of people out -- do a time jump and have Elsa be a mythical figure, the long-lost Snow Queen (which is where all of this began originally with Disney) and have young heroes redeem her, after a heartbroken Elsa has fallen into darkness. (What would Elsa do if something happened to Anna? It probably wouldn't be great.)

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Toy Story 5? Wow - Lightyear didn't turn out to be the franchise movie they'd hoped for I guess, so it's back to the well. I thought 3 was a good capstone. Or maybe it's the Millenial nostalgia tour?

Frozen 3 - Yeah, makes sense. Kids love Frozen. I just hope they hammer out a plot before they start animating it this time (Ok, I don't know that that's what happened with the second one, but it sure felt like a movie started on an unfinished script)

All in all it sounds like Disney is going the low risk route on the animation side.

They are trying to turn around a sinking ship. Could be a start but then they also need better new content
They have lost a partial generation from all over the world. Disney animated movies of last 5 years are barely talked about and there’s little to no merchandise. It’s mandalorian some Star Wars and marvel that’s keeping this thing alive and clearly not strong

Kaodi

Hero
I suppose they could make a Toy Story with two Buzz Lightyears, one voiced by Tim Allen and the other by Chris Evans. Not like every toy is unique or every character is a one-off. What happens when two toy versions of the same character meet? Or just two of the same toy?

Frozen 3 does seem like it could be a wide open field plot wise.

Remove ads