Disney announces Zoopotia 2, Frozen 3, and Toy Story 5 (with Tim Allen back)

There's yet to be a bad Toy Story movie, and I can totally imagine a universe where Toy Stories 3 and 4 were not made with the end of the series in mind and where a final act was warranted. It probably will be an adequate sequel, but when you've already done a movie that were clearly made with the intention of wrapping up the series, and then, miraculously pulled off an additional sequel wrapping it up again, a third such outing just seems foolhardy.

But, whatever, Disney doesn't make money off having a well constructed series narrative arc that we can reflect on and respect. They make money off cashing in on a series' goodwill to get people to the theater. Here in the monitize-nostalgia age every franchise is guaranteed to get at least one too many entries. Going out on a high, or even reasonably satisfying note is just leaving money on the table that could have been grabbed through another lazy sequel, reboot, etc.

And this is from Disney, who generally has a history of being much more oriented towards preserving and burnishing what they consider their legacy than every other entertainment conglomerate.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Making Frozen more of a D&D setting sounds like more of feature then a bug.
This is only tangentially related, but I feel like the release of Al Qadim in the same year as Aladdin was the last time D&D did anything even remotely successful in the field of pop culture cross-promotion.

Sorry, carry on.

aco175

Legend
Are they all in a race to beat the Rocky franchise in terms of numbers. I mean they will all make several hundred millions, but how about something more original that is not trying to push something political at me.

I guess there is space to tell a story in Frozen 3 about the true fate of the parents.

Toy Story 5 can be about the main characters trying to stop the war between Hasbro and Mattel toys.

---

A little off-topic but I suspect we could be in the last years of the Disney empire. I don't worry too much about the IPs and franchises because these are too valious, and in the case of bankrupt they will be acquired by a bigger company, maybe Apple or Microsoft.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Making Frozen more of a D&D setting sounds like more of feature then a bug.
Makes it sound more interesting than it is: Frozen 2 is more Forest Oracle than any other module I know about.

Which is a pity, because the setting and characters are more interesting than anything done with them yet.

Makes it sound more interesting than it is: Frozen 2 is more Forest Oracle than any other module I know about.

Which is a pity, because the setting and characters are more interesting than anything done with them yet.
The Forest Oracle - with songs! Sounds like a sure fire winner.

But Frozen 2 is so D&D you can even pin it down as 3rd edition.

The TV cartoon of Aladdin would be one of the best examples of how a Disney child-friendly cartoon with a D&D style could be possible.

moze_cover2-1967.jpg

What about the serie of "Willow"?

---

Anything about a reboot of Star Wars? That could be a serious risk. The funny fact is the own fandom could suggest a lot of ideas about the lore of this rebooted version, for example adding more factions of force-users besides jedis and sith.

Remove ads