• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disney announces Zoopotia 2, Frozen 3, and Toy Story 5 (with Tim Allen back)

There's yet to be a bad Toy Story movie, and I can totally imagine a universe where Toy Stories 3 and 4 were not made with the end of the series in mind and where a final act was warranted. It probably will be an adequate sequel, but when you've already done a movie that were clearly made with the intention of wrapping up the series, and then, miraculously pulled off an additional sequel wrapping it up again, a third such outing just seems foolhardy.

But, whatever, Disney doesn't make money off having a well constructed series narrative arc that we can reflect on and respect. They make money off cashing in on a series' goodwill to get people to the theater. Here in the monitize-nostalgia age every franchise is guaranteed to get at least one too many entries. Going out on a high, or even reasonably satisfying note is just leaving money on the table that could have been grabbed through another lazy sequel, reboot, etc.

And this is from Disney, who generally has a history of being much more oriented towards preserving and burnishing what they consider their legacy than every other entertainment conglomerate.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Making Frozen more of a D&D setting sounds like more of feature then a bug.
This is only tangentially related, but I feel like the release of Al Qadim in the same year as Aladdin was the last time D&D did anything even remotely successful in the field of pop culture cross-promotion.

Sorry, carry on.

aco175

Legend
Are they all in a race to beat the Rocky franchise in terms of numbers. I mean they will all make several hundred millions, but how about something more original that is not trying to push something political at me.

I guess there is space to tell a story in Frozen 3 about the true fate of the parents.

Toy Story 5 can be about the main characters trying to stop the war between Hasbro and Mattel toys.

---

A little off-topic but I suspect we could be in the last years of the Disney empire. I don't worry too much about the IPs and franchises because these are too valious, and in the case of bankrupt they will be acquired by a bigger company, maybe Apple or Microsoft.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Making Frozen more of a D&D setting sounds like more of feature then a bug.
Makes it sound more interesting than it is: Frozen 2 is more Forest Oracle than any other module I know about.

Which is a pity, because the setting and characters are more interesting than anything done with them yet.

Makes it sound more interesting than it is: Frozen 2 is more Forest Oracle than any other module I know about.

Which is a pity, because the setting and characters are more interesting than anything done with them yet.
The Forest Oracle - with songs! Sounds like a sure fire winner.

But Frozen 2 is so D&D you can even pin it down as 3rd edition.

The TV cartoon of Aladdin would be one of the best examples of how a Disney child-friendly cartoon with a D&D style could be possible.

moze_cover2-1967.jpg

What about the serie of "Willow"?

---

Anything about a reboot of Star Wars? That could be a serious risk. The funny fact is the own fandom could suggest a lot of ideas about the lore of this rebooted version, for example adding more factions of force-users besides jedis and sith.

Remove ads