Disney to revise Star Wars canon

well, that's where we disagree. Didn't read Young Jedi Knights, but Jedi Academy had me cringing.

not trying to argue, but could you tell me why? I have heard a lot of "This sucks" and not a lot of whys...

as for young jedi knights I was in highschool when they came out and were highschool age kids of Han and Leia training to be Jedi. Twins Jacen (a bit like his dad he had that charming smile and devil may care attitude but mostly came off as a joker) and Jana (very tech savy nerd type) and there friends and enemies. The training came off more realistic in my mind then luke's (although all based on the movies, like red laser droids and blask helmets that filtered out red, so you could still see everything but what was shooting at you, and weighted block for TK lifting and stacking) and it helped that I was in the age group...

delericho

Legend
Revising canon by retconning things out of existence, and especially by selectively retconning things out of existence, does not make it simpler. All it does is introduce a whole new set of complexities - now it's not enough to know whether something happened or not, you have to determine whether it has still happened, or some director/writer/focus group has decided to remove it again... or, indeed, put it back in.

Even more annoying is that a few years ago Lucasfilm actually went to a fairly significant effort to sort a lot of stuff out - the novels published since NJO have all been made to fit together, "Clone Wars" fits in with the movies, etc etc.

delericho

Legend
Hey fans, did you enjoy those stories when you read them?

See, now you're just being silly. This is Star Wars, and Star Wars fans we're talking about. It's been well established that since 1983 the only enjoyment Star Wars fans get from anything labelled Star Wars lies in finding new and innovative ways to bitch about it.

:)

sabrinathecat

Explorer
not trying to argue, but could you tell me why? I have heard a lot of "This sucks" and not a lot of whys...

as for young jedi knights I was in highschool when they came out and were highschool age kids of Han and Leia training to be Jedi. Twins Jacen (a bit like his dad he had that charming smile and devil may care attitude but mostly came off as a joker) and Jana (very tech savy nerd type) and there friends and enemies. The training came off more realistic in my mind then luke's (although all based on the movies, like red laser droids and blask helmets that filtered out red, so you could still see everything but what was shooting at you, and weighted block for TK lifting and stacking) and it helped that I was in the age group...

I think my objections were summed up pretty well in Spectre of the Past/Vision of the Future, when Mara Jade was chewing out Luke. "So, how many times were your niece and nephews kidnapped? And when were you planning on getting something like adequate security protection for them?" "Yeah, I guess I've been pretty dumb."
I guess KJA just make Luke too much of a Mary Sue: He can do anything. Bring back Kyp Durron from the darkside? Barely requires a chapter. Blow up planets? pffft. the new super weapon can blow up entire star systems! Destroy it. bring it back. destroy it again.

Lucas has been rewriting cannon since 1978, when he tried to divorce himself from the 1978 Christmas special.

Maybe in the next DVD release, the MSE-6 droids will have 2 radar dishes CGI'd onto their chassis.

Last edited:

Hey fans, did you enjoy those stories when you read them? If so, money not wasted.
I thought about this for some time. For some fans, no, the enjoyment was enough. Some might feel they wasted their money on something that no longer mattered. And anyone who contributed to Wookiepedia might definitely feel slighted.

It's a little like, say, radically retconning Forgotten Realms canon to omit a swath of books.
Or a sweeping continuity change in comics. I dropped Marvel comics entirely when they removed Peter's marriage and wiped out almost every Spider-man comic I had ever read (and every Spidey comic I owned, as I was 8 when they were married and any comic I owned pre-10 was read to pieces).

There's an investment in the EU. People took the time to read it and learn it and now chunks of it are going away and the works of dozens of writes might be vanishing because a studio writer doesn't want to research.

Remove ads