• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dispater Encounter (Epic level)

Mesh Hong

First Post
The following is the final encounter in my PCs quest to gather 4 pieces of “The Sunder Stone of Erik’Hus”. (note: actually it isn’t but at this stage the group didn’t know that one of the previously acquired pieces had been stolen by agents of Tiamat)

The fourth fragment was an integral part of Dispaters Belt of Invulnerability. To cut a very controversial story short Asmodeous tried to bargain with the group where he would deliver Dispater into a position where the group could face him and he couldn’t escape, in exchange for the group signing an oath not to interfere with Asmodeous or his allies (namely Bane). After a lot of discussion and disagreement the group finally decided not to sign (and risk their immortal souls), good for them.

When Asmodeous returned the next night to seal the deal they informed him of their decision and he was mightily upset (but being an urbane and charming soul, quietly came to terms with it and warned the group that he would be forced to inform Dispater of the plot against him immediately).

Before he could do this however he was intercepted outside on the street by Corellon and Sehanine who took the opportunity of facing Asmodeous outside the protection of his own domain. Between them they restrained him with magic and together they forcibly rewrote his mental attitude. Rewriting his personality to Good from Evil, as a favour to the PCs who had unwittingly made this possible they wiped his memory of the previous conversations and sent him back in to negotiate for how the group could deal with a problem he was having with Dispater.

(After this I put my giant plot crowbar away before it took anyones eye out!)

Basically Asmodeous summoned Dispater into a private dimension to await a meeting with him. Anyone in the dimension can only leave if summoned by Asmodeous or if a year has passed. This private dimension is mutable to some extent by its occupier, in this case dispater.

The group were teleported into the dimension and had to fight their way through Dispaters personal servants to ultimately face him.

Encounter 1:
2x Black and Red Iron Gorgon (level 28 elite brute)
Encounter 2:
4x Incarnus Foot Soldier (level 26 soldier)
2x Incarnus Investigator (level 26 artillery)
2x Incarnus Hammerer (level 28 brute)
Encounter 3:
4x Incarnus Foot Soldier (level 26 soldier)
2x Incarnus Investigator (level 26 artillery)
1x Incarnus Captain (level 26 elite soldier)
1x Incarnus Inquisitor (level 27 elite controller)
Encounter 4:
2x Incarnus Foot Soldier (level 26 soldier)
4x Incarnus Hammerer (level 28 brute)
1x Lord of Dis (Pit Fiend) (level 28 elite soldier)

This was all a softening up exercise for the final showdown
1x Dispater (Level 28 solo controller)
1x Succubus Seneschal (level 26 elite controller)
2x Iron Spike Hound (level 26 soldier)
2x Imp Swarm (level 25 skirmisher)

The final encounter took place in Dispaters sumptuously appointed living chambers. The group burst in demanding that Dispater give them the belt. The lord of hell was amused by the prospect and battle was initiated. All the while Dispater tried probing the group for information as to who the group were working for and why they needed the belt.

It turned out to be an interesting encounter with two sources of dominate and the tactical use of a large wall power (Gates of Dis) which was reasonably effective at splitting the group, especially when the cleric and warlord were trapped on the wrong side of the doorway for a while.

The Iron Hounds were dealt with very quickly and didn’t really achieve their intended role of throwing themselves in front of attacks, while the swarms were annoying but not really threatening. The Succubus was tactically interesting though never really added directly to the damage output, though the mental image of her desperately trying to kiss the PCs was very amusing and at times quite effective.

Eventually Dispater stood alone and bloodied, he realised that he probably wasn’t going to win and even if he did he would be trapped in the dimension for a year, or summoned by Asmodeous and executed (though he didn’t understand why Asmodeous would suddenly turn against him) so he turned his attention back to diplomacy.

The group weren’t that interested in actually killing him and after a few rounds of posturing and a Mexican standoff they brokered a deal that Dispater would give them the belt if they would take him out of the dimension with them. They agreed and used the Dark Wanderer ability to travel to the desert in Al’Akbar (a location they have already adventured in), Al’Akbar is cursed by Pelor, part of the curse is that travel magic doesn’t work (again dark wander bypasses this), so there was an amusing moment where Dispater said his good byes then tried to teleport away, found he couldn’t, gave an embarrassed smile to the group and started walking into the desert while they just disappeared.

Note: Some people might notice that I forgot to include 30 fire resistance in Dispaters stat block. We all had a good laugh at a lord of hell being damaged by fire, but I didn’t add it for the sake of humour.

Iron Spike Hound Level 26 Soldier
Medium Natural Animate (construct) XP 9,000

Initiative +24 Senses Perception +19, darkvision
HP 246; Bloodied 123
AC 44; Fortitude 40, Reflex 39, Will 38
Speed 8

:bmelee: Tail Lash (Standard; at-will)
Reach 2; attack +33 vs. AC; 2d6+9 damage

:melee: Iron Bite (Standard; at-will)
Attack +33 vs. AC; 2d8+9 damage; on hit target is grabbed (escape ends)

:melee: Iron Clamp (Standard; at-will) grabbed target only
Grabbed target only; attack +31 vs. Fortitude; 3d8+9 damage; on hit
Hound may slide target into any free square adjacent to it; hit or miss the
grab is maintained

Iron Intersession (Immediate Interrupt; at-will) adjacent ally
targeted by a melee or ranged attack
When an adjacent named ally (Dispater or Succubus) is targeted by a
melee or ranged attack Hound may switch places with the target and
become the new target of the attack; if the Hound is currently grabbing a
target that target immediately escapes the grab

Iron Rampage (Free) when first bloodied and on death
When first bloodied and on death Hound makes a Tail Lash attack against
all enemies within reach as an immediate free action

Threatening Reach
Hound has threatening reach (2) with its Tail Lash attack

Alignment Unaligned
Skills Stealth +27
Str 28 (+22) Dex 28 (+22) Wis 12 (+14)
Con 30 (+23) Int 8 (+12) Cha 3 (+9)

Imp Swarm Level 25 Skirmisher
Large Immortal Humanoid (devil) XP 7,000

Initiative +23 Senses Perception +21
Biting and Scratching aura 1; All enemies sharing a square with Imp
Swarm or inside this aura take a Bite and Scratch attack at the start of
their turn
HP 200; Bloodied 100
AC 39; Fortitude 35, Reflex 39, Will 38
Resist 15 fire, half damage melee and ranged attacks;
Vulnerable 5 close and area attacks
Speed 4, fly 6 (hover)

:melee: Bite and Scratch (Standard; at-will)
Attack +30 vs. AC; 2d6+9 damage; this attack deals 4d6+9 damage
against targets sharing a square with Imp Swarm

:melee: Volley of Stings (Standard; at-will) poison
Attack +28 vs. Reflex; 2d8+9 poison damage; on hit target takes a -2
penalty to Will Defence (save ends)

Swarm Characteristics
Swarm is not subject to any single target status effects (including marks,
challenges, quarries and curses), but is subject to status effects from
close, area or zone sources

Flapping Hell
Imp Swarm cannot make opportunity attacks, but does not provoke
opportunity attacks when it moves and may enter or even end its turn in
another creatures square

Alignment Evil Languages common, supernal
Skills Arcana +25, Bluff +25, Stealth +26
Str 14 (+14) Dex 28 (+21) Wis 18 (+16)
Con 20 (+17) Int 26 (+20) Cha 26 (+20)

Succubus Seneschal Level 26 Elite Controller
Medium Immortal Humanoid (devil, shapechanger) XP 18,000

Initiative +22 Senses Perception +26, darkvision
HP 470; Bloodied 235
AC 40; Fortitude 36, Reflex 39, Will 40
Resist 30 fire, 10 poison
Saving Throws +2
Speed 6, fly 8 (hover)
Action Points 1

:bmelee: Corrupting Caress (Standard; at-will)
Attack +31 vs. AC; 2d10+10 damage; on hit target takes a cumulative -2
penalty to Will defence (save ends)

:melee: Wandering Hands (Standard; at-will)
burst 1; Succubus makes a Corrupting Caress attack against all enemies in
burst

:melee: Love Bite (Standard; recharge :4::5::6:) poison
Attack +31 vs. AC; 3d12+10 damage; on hit target is dazed and takes 20
ongoing poison damage (save ends both)

:melee: Charming Kiss (Standard; at-will) charm
Attack +31 vs. AC; on hit secondary attack against the same target;
attack +30 vs. Will; on hit the target cannot attack the succubus (3
saves ends, also ends if Succubus attacks the target), while under this
effect if the target is adjacent to the succubus when the succubus is
targeted by a melee or a ranged attack, the target interposes itself and
becomes the target of the attack instead as a free interrupt action.

:ranged: Dominate (Minor; at-will) 1/round
Range 5; does not provoke opportunity attacks; attack +28 vs. Will; on
hit target is dominated until the end of Succubus’s next turn

Change Shape (Minor; at-will) polymorph
The succubus can alter its physical form to take on the appearance of any
Medium humanoid, including a unique individual

Alignment Evil Languages common, supernal
Skills Bluff +28, Diplomacy +28, History +24, Insight +26
Str 12 (+14) Dex 28 (+22) Wis 26 (+21)
Con 18 (+17) Int 22 (+19) Cha 30 (+23)

Dispater Level 28 Solo Controller
Medium Immortal Humanoid (devil) XP 65,000

Initiative +30 / +15 Senses Perception +26, darkvision, truesight 10
HP 1,300; Bloodied 650; Rain of Spikes, Paranoid Contingency
AC 45; Fortitude 41, Reflex 43, Will 42
Saving Throws +5
Speed 6, teleport 10
Action Points 2

:bmelee: Smiting Rod (Standard; at-will)
Attack +33 vs. AC; 3d8+10 damage (crit 8d8+34 damage); on hit target is
pushed 2 squares and dazed (save ends)

:melee: Blasphemous Reply (Immediate Reaction; at-will) thunder, hit by
melee attack
When hit by a melee attack Dispater makes the following attack against
its aggressor; attack +32 vs. Will; 3d8+10 thunder damage; on hit target
is pushed 1 square

:melee: Scathing Rod (Standard; at-will) acid
Range 20; attack +32 vs. Reflex; 4d10+10 acid damage; on hit target
takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls (save ends)

:ranged: Inveigle (Standard; recharge :5::6:) charm, psychic
Range 20; attack +32 vs. Will; 3d10+10 psychic damage; Target slides 3
squares and is dominated (save ends), aftereffect target is dazed (save
ends)

:close: Infernal Spikes of Dis (Standard; encounter) sustain standard
Burst 20; enemies only; attack +32 vs. Fortitude; 5d10+10 damage; on hit
target is immobilised until the end of Dispaters next turn on the same
initiative; on miss half damage; sustain standard (once) on next turn on
the same initiative, Dispater repeats the attack against all targets
immobilised by this power with the same damage but on hit target is
immobilised (save ends); on miss target takes half damage

:close: Rain of Spikes (Standard; recharge :4::5::6:) while bloodied only
Only while bloodied; burst 8; enemies only; attack +32 vs. Reflex; 3d6+10
damage

:area: Gates of Dis (Move; at-will) wall, fire
Wall 10 within 20 squares; conjures a lattice of scalding iron that lasts
until the start of Dispaters next turn on the same initiative next round.
The wall blocks movement and line of effect, but it does not block line of
sight. Creatures that end their turn adjacent to the wall take 10 fire
damage, creatures pushed, pulled or slid adjacent to the wall take 20 fire
damage, the wall is 4 squares high and cannot be destroyed. Dispater can
only use this power if he currently has no walls in play.

Diabolic Awe (Free; at-will) enemy becomes bloodied or takes a
critical hit
Whenever an enemy within 10 squares of Dispater becomes bloodied or
takes a critical hit it is also pushed 3 squares away from Dispater and
dazed (save ends). When this happens all allied devils within 10 squares of
Dispater regain 20 HPs

Multiple Actions
Dispater acts twice each round with a full range of actions on initiative
+30 and +15

Paranoid Contingency (Free; recharge :6:) immediate reaction,
recharges when bloodied
Dispater transfers any one effect he is currently subject to to an ally or
dominated target within 10 squares as a free immediate reaction; If
Dispater uses this to remove a stun effect instead this dazes him and his
target until the end of their respective next turns; this power
automatically recharges when Dispater first becomes bloodied

Belt of Invulnerability (minor; recharge :6:) for loot see phb p.251 (scarab
of invulnerability)
Dispater gains invulnerability to damage until start of his next turn on the
same initiative; this power cannot recharge while it is active

Alignment Evil Languages supernal
Skills Arcana +29, Bluff +28, History +29, Insight +26, Religion +29
Str 22 (+20) Dex 23 (+20) Wis 24 (+21)
Con 27 (+22) Int 30 (+24) Cha 29 (+23)
Equipment scarlet robe, rod of dispater, Belt of Invulnerability

Anyway I hope you find the creatures interesting.

After this blatant crowbar plot situation I have forced myself to make amends by presenting a “proper” adventure for the groups next exploit which is rescuing Avandra from an underwater Dagon temple.

I really like the Succubus' powers! I do feel she as a controller would benefit vastly from just one ranged attack power (besides dominate - or otherwise skip the 1/round limitation?).

Erhm... Dispater has way too many hit points? (pre-DMG2 design?)

Last edited:

Mesh Hong

First Post
I really like the Succubus' powers! I do feel she as a controller would benefit vastly from just one ranged attack power (besides dominate - or otherwise skip the 1/round limitation?).

Yes tactically she would definately benefit from a decent ranged attack option. But in this instance I didn't want to give her an excuse for not getting into the middle of the fight.

I thought it would be a lot more amusing for her to grope and kiss her way through combat rather than stand back and blast.:)

Erhm... Dispater has way too many hit points? (pre-DMG2 design?)

My group are animals and it has regularly been my experience that solos don't have enough HPs. This means that I have never adopted the MM2 solo HP reduction rules (but I have incorporated the standard defences rather than the MM1 increase 3 defences by 2 points), in fact I have been known to add 500 to 1000 more HPs to important boss solos mid encounter just to give them a chance of dying with a little dignity!

MM3 has changed this somewhat, so I won't need to add HPs to solos anymore as the increased damage balances things out quite nicely. But I will still keep them at MM1 levels.

DeathGaze

First Post
The hell hound uses two different types of damage dice. For ease of play, I would switch one attack or the other two to the same type of damage dice and level off the average with the damage mod. Actually, they all do that. This can quickly get confusing, as I find it's much easier to make a monster with one size dice and just use that. Otherwise, these look great - although I'm unfamiliar with making epic tier monsters. Your mileage may vary.

sc8rpi8n

First Post
Mesh Hong can you post the stats for the Iron gorgons and the various incarnum monsters? I would like to see them.

Please continue posting your epic level encounters. The information in them is priceless for me.

MM3 has changed this somewhat, so I won't need to add HPs to solos anymore as the increased damage balances things out quite nicely. But I will still keep them at MM1 levels.
I seem to recall that you followed the recent threads where first a poster told of his 26th lvl group wiping the floor with orcus and a hell of a lot of other monsters in one lvl 35 encounter and me then asking in a new thread if named monsters (demon princes and so on) were too easy for their level.

Would you say that Orcus with MM3 damage is more credible for his level, or will he still get destroyed by a party 7 lvls below him (I'm thinking stun-lock)?

Orcus and Ashardalon are the two big baddies in my campaign, and I would like to know if the showdown with old A should be at lvl 24 instead of 27, for example.

Thanks.

Mesh Hong

First Post
I seem to recall that you followed the recent threads where first a poster told of his 26th lvl group wiping the floor with orcus and a hell of a lot of other monsters in one lvl 35 encounter

I think that was my group.

and me then asking in a new thread if named monsters (demon princes and so on) were too easy for their level.

Would you say that Orcus with MM3 damage is more credible for his level, or will he still get destroyed by a party 7 lvls below him (I'm thinking stun-lock)?

Orcus and Ashardalon are the two big baddies in my campaign, and I would like to know if the showdown with old A should be at lvl 24 instead of 27, for example.

Any creature that is going to be used as an end boss for a campaign (or story for that matter) needs designing specifically for the power level of the group.

MM1 Orcus all MM3'ed up would be a more serious threat, but you would still need to look at some sort of status resistance. I would still say that you should redesign it to suit your own circumstances and try to tie it to the specific encounter in some way for added effect.

In my own game my PCs are, as we speak, fighting their way towards a final confrontation with "The Curtain of Despair" high up in what once was the Raven Queens ice castle in the shadowfell. They are still a couple of weeks session time from that confrontation so I havn't committed anything to paper stat wise yet as I am still not sure exactly what will constitute an appropriate threat.

Some level 30 epic destiny powers are very good, but I really need to see my group at level 30 for a session to properly understand what they are capable of. After all the fate of the world hangs in the balance. :)

Mesh Hong

First Post
The hell hound uses two different types of damage dice. For ease of play, I would switch one attack or the other two to the same type of damage dice and level off the average with the damage mod. Actually, they all do that. This can quickly get confusing, as I find it's much easier to make a monster with one size dice and just use that. Otherwise, these look great - although I'm unfamiliar with making epic tier monsters. Your mileage may vary.

I can see the benefits in using the same type of dice for all a creatures attacks. But on the otherhand I don't really think it is that confusing or time consuming picking up the right dice during combat.

It is something I will give some thought to and bear it in mind when designing "easy to run" monsters. I class "easy to run" monsters as those specifically to run smoothly, i.e. with no recharge powers or awkward powers.

Remove ads