• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Dispel Magic's Ability Check question

Wolfskin

Explorer
The entry for Dispel Magic in the Basic Rules states:
For each spell of 4th level or higher on the target, make an ability check using your spellcasting ability. The DC equals 10 + the spell’s level.
Does the caster add his/her proficiency bonus to the Ability Check or not? I would say yes, but I'm not 100% sure.

epithet

Explorer
Ability checks don't use the proficiency bonus.

I don't think that's correct. When a creature takes the "hide" action, for example, it makes an ability check using dexterity. If the creature is proficient in stealth, it can add its proficiency bonus to the result. In the case of dispel magic, the caster (wizard, bard, cleric, or sorcerer) typically adds his proficiency bonus to ability checks using his spellcasting stat to cast a spell (e.g. spell attack rolls) so the caster would certainly be proficient with spellcasting, right? It only makes sense to add the proficiency bonus to roll to check the effectiveness of this spell, too.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
The ability check called for in dispel magic does not add proficiency bonus - except if made by an abjuration wizard of 10th level or higher, who would have the Improved Abjuration feature that's only function is to add proficiency bonus to such ability checks.

Ability checks don't add proficiency modifier by default, some feature must allow it to be added.

mellored

Legend
The ability check called for in dispel magic does not add proficiency bonus - except if made by an abjuration wizard of 10th level or higher, who would have the Improved Abjuration feature that's only function is to add proficiency bonus to such ability checks.

Ability checks don't add proficiency modifier by default, some feature must allow it to be added.
Also bards with jack-of-all trades. They would add 1/2 their proficiency.

Remove ads