Disturbing Trend

Quasqueton

First Post
Where is Kim Mohan today? Still in the hobby?

When I think of Dragon magazine editors, his is the first name to come to mind.

Quasqueton

green slime

First Post
Fifth Element said:
Freaky...to kill some time this morning, I picked out one of my old Dragons to read at random . It was this very issue, and that letter was the first thing I read. This was not 10 minutes ago.

My first thought was "some things never change", followed quickly by "I wish the term 'badwrongfun' existed back then..."

I think the correct term then was doubleplusbad.

Pbartender

First Post
Glyfair said:
For example, Gary on variant rules: "I fervently desire to put the matter of variants, particularly “realistic” variants, to rest once and for all, so as to get on to other more important things, but it keeps springing up every time a sound stroke is dealt to it. Additions to and augmentations of certain parts of the D&D rules are fine. Variants which change the rules so as to imbalance the game or change it are most certainly not." (and then lists examples of destructive rules such as allowing wizards to wield swords or fighters to use wands, and critical hit/miss systems).

Interesting he should list those three examples, since 3rd edition now allows for all three, to various degrees.

Glyfair

Explorer
Pbartender said:
Interesting he should list those three examples, since 3rd edition now allows for all three, to various degrees.

I'm not sure if it has a critical hit/miss system under his definition. There is no critical miss system, officially. IIRC, he said if he created a critical hit system it would only increase damage and not have the stuff critical hit systems of the day had.

I have to admit, I hate that sort of system myself. I liked Runequest, but the critical hit/fumble system was silly. They stated it was supposed to add "realism." However, if you looked at the numbers, a typical clash of armies would have large numbers of participants decapitating themselves with fumbles.

green slime

First Post
Glyfair said:
I'm not sure if it has a critical hit/miss system under his definition. There is no critical miss system, officially. IIRC, he said if he created a critical hit system it would only increase damage and not have the stuff critical hit systems of the day had.

I have to admit, I hate that sort of system myself. I liked Runequest, but the critical hit/fumble system was silly. They stated it was supposed to add "realism." However, if you looked at the numbers, a typical clash of armies would have large numbers of participants decapitating themselves with fumbles.

Are you trying to suggest that that wouldn't be very realistic? :confused:

Henry

Autoexreginated
Quasqueton said:
Where is Kim Mohan today? Still in the hobby?

When I think of Dragon magazine editors, his is the first name to come to mind.

Quasqueton

Kim Mohan still works for WotC as "Editing Manager" (apparently has a credit in Player's Handbook 2!)

Glyfair

Explorer
green slime said:
Are you trying to suggest that that wouldn't be very realistic? :confused:

Umm, yes. Being decapitated by opponents, perhaps. Dozens of people doing it to themselves? No.

This also doesn't count the self-maiming, maiming or decapitating of your friends, etc. Nearly as many people would die from self inflicted wounds or "friendly fire" as would be killed by the opponents.

Pbartender

First Post
Glyfair said:

Ah... I gotcha...

That sort of critical hit/fumble system. As opposed to D&D's critical hit system with the simple damage modifiers.

I see what you mean... And I agree whole heartedly.

Remove ads