Pathfinder 2E Ditching sacred cows

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Why would they want to establish an identity more distinct from DnD when they are DnD?

They already have their own DnD distinction with Golarion.
I think it's more than just Golarion... I barely know anything about that setting and I see pathfinder as pretty distinct.

In other words, a setting is not a ruleset.

But... I still consider it a variant of d&d so...

Kaodi

Hero
I wonder if we will see colour-coded dragons bite the dust. That is a sacred cow inextricably linked to D&D - but PF2 is not identical to D&D anymore. Of course the Playtest book has a White Dragon on the cover, so maybe not. But then again... it's not breathing yet.

Lylandra

Adventurer
Vancian casting. I hate it. Gimme that steak.

Also, the omnipresent importance of perception.

Oh and I almost forgot the pile-o-dice sneak attack. Nothing against precision-based attacks, but having a mechanic that's overly relying on stealth (aka "I buy wands of invisibility in a 10 pack") or flanking AND includes throwing myriads of damage dice, especially when paired with a dual-wielding character who's player is slow at adding numbers. Argh!

Last edited:

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
I believe it is a reflex save to ditch, and the cows have a natural +2 sacred bonus. Or is it holy? Which edition are we using again?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I'm a fan of any system ditching the d20 for a much less swingy d10.
If you want to reduce swing, the way to do it is *not* with a smaller dice, but with a non linear dice. For example , use 2d10 instead of a d20. Average rolls become much more common.

With a d20, each value has a flat 5% chance of coming up. With 2d10, you only have a 1% chance of rolling 20, and a 10% chance of rolling 11.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
If you want to reduce swing, the way to do it is *not* with a smaller dice, but with a non linear dice. For example , use 2d10 instead of a d20. Average rolls become much more common.

With a d20, each value has a flat 5% chance of coming up. With 2d10, you only have a 1% chance of rolling 20, and a 10% chance of rolling 11.
Nah, with 2d10 you still get outliers.
With 1d10+5, the outcome is determined far more by ability and training.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Nah, with 2d10 you still get outliers.
With 1d10+5, the outcome is determined far more by ability and training.
There are serious consequences in restricting dice *range*. Say you are a low level character with +3 to hit trying to hit an AC 19 monster. You can't hit that foe anymore!

... unless you roll a critical ? (10 on the d10)? But that means you now have critical results 10% of the time...

Yunru

Banned
Banned
There are serious consequences in restricting dice *range*. Say you are a low level character with +3 to hit trying to hit an AC 19 monster. You can't hit that foe anymore!

... unless you roll a critical ? (10 on the d10)? But that means you now have critical results 10% of the time...
I don't see a problem with eithet of those results.

Remove ads