Pathfinder 2E Ditching sacred cows

S

Sunseeker

If PF2 is gonna ditch anything, I'd love to see them get rid of (stat-10)/2=mod.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Maybe make some hallowed cheese (come to think of it, that's quite apt, sooo much cheese), but don't ever consider harming one of the Sacred Cows.

They're, y'know, sacred.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Yeah, I can work the math. It just never occurred to me to use unequal dice.

I can't remember why I did it - I think I wanted to see what the damage would look like with the extra d4 from the brute subclass? - anyway I was very surprised by the shape of the curve - an intermediate between the pyramid and the flat line of a single dice.

Shemeska

Adventurer
The last time anyone went gleefully slaughtering sacred cows, either in terms of rules, rules assumptions, or setting flavor during an edition change that ended very, very poorly. I think that lesson has been learned. Thankfully.

Staffan

Legend
Nah, with 2d10 you still get outliers.
With 1d10+5, the outcome is determined far more by ability and training.

d10 or d20 don't, by themselves, make things more or less swingy. Both have a uniform probability distribution. If you want training/skill/stats to matter more than random chance, you change the proportions - d10+4 versus DC 10 is the same as d20+9 versus DC 20.

If you want things to be less random, you use multiple dice instead, because that centers the probability curve around the central results. With 3d6, for example, you have about a 50% chance of rolling in the 9-12 range, and 2% chance of rolling 17-18.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
The last time anyone went gleefully slaughtering sacred cows, either in terms of rules, rules assumptions, or setting flavor during an edition change that ended very, very poorly. I think that lesson has been learned. Thankfully.
Well...

By going a bit "old school" 5e was able to retire a few cows on the side...

But ultimately, you can't change everything.

3catcircus

Adventurer
Ditch class/level and go with a skill-based life path.

Go with a dice pool system - d20 less than attribute+skill points = success. Amount you succeed by adds to effects. Every additional success adds to results.

Remove ads