• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Divine Blooded Template

Hollywood

First Post
Ok, I found I have the need for a NPC thats the offspring of a human and diety. Looking at the options available, I found none appealing. Going the route of making him of 0 rank deity I nixed because only Ao can make an entity a deity; and that brings up lots of other issues. Celestial template seems a bit watered down, but the half-celestial template goes the wrong way (i.e. its more towards angels, solars, etc.). So I came up with a Divine Blooded template.. have two versions, one more powerful, the other less powerful. Not certain which to go with...

HALF-DEITY TEMPLATE
"Half-deity" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or higher (referred to hereafter as the base creature).
A half-deity uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
Size and Type: The creature's type changes to outsider. Do not recalculate the creature's Hit Dice, base attack bonus, or saves. Size is unchanged. Half-dieties are considered native outsiders.
Speed: As base creature.
Armor Class: Natural armor improves by +1 (this stacks with any natural armor bonus the base creature has).
Special Qualities: A half-deity has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.
Darkvision.
Immunity to disease.
Low-light vision.
Long life. Your life span increases to that of an elf. For dwarves, elves and gnomes and other long-lived races, their life span is doubled.
Resistance/10 to Acid, Cold, Electricity, and Fire.
+4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves against poison.
Spell resistance equal to creature's HD + 10 (maximum 35).
Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +4, Dex +2, Con +4, Int +2, Wis +4, Cha +4.
Skills: A half-deity gains skill points as an outsider and has skill points equal to (4 + Int modifier) x(HD +3). Do not include Hit Dice from class levels in this calculation - the half-deity gains outsider skill points only for its racial Hit Dice, and gains the normal amount of skill points for its class levels. Treat skills from the base creature's list as class skills, and other skills as cross-class.
Challenge Rating: HD 5 or less, as base creature +1; HD 6 to 10, as base creature +2; HD 11 or more, as base creature +3.
Alignment: Any.
Level Adjustment: Same as base creature +4.

DIVINE BLOODED TEMPLATE (Lesser)
"Divine Blooded" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).
A divine blooded uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
Size and Type: The creature's type changes to outsider. Do not recalculate the creature's Hit Dice, base attack bonus, or saves. Size is unchanged. The divine blooded are considered native outsiders.
Armor Class: As base creature.
Special Qualities: A divine blooded has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.
Darkvision.
Immunity to disease and poison.
Low-light vision.
Long life. Your life span increases to that of an elf. For long-lived races, their life span is doubled.
Resistance/5 to Acid, Cold, Electricity, and Fire.
Spell resistance equal to creature's HD + 5.
Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +2, Con +2, Wis +2, Cha +2.
Skills: A divine blooded gains skill points as an outsider and has skill points equal to (4 + Int modifier) x(HD +3). Do not include Hit Dice from class levels in this calculation - the divine blooded gains outsider skill points only for its racial Hit Dice, and gains the normal amount of skill points for its class levels. Treat skills from the base creature's list as class skills, and other skills as cross-class.
Challenge Rating: HD 5 or less, as base creature +1; HD 6 to 10, as base creature +2; HD 11 or more, as base creature +3.
Level Adjustment: Same as base creature +3.

Thoughts or comments? I'm leaning towards the lesser template as I want crunchy bits to back up the background story, but at the same time I don't want over the top crunch bits either.

Thanks!

Thanatos

Banned
Banned
I think just about everyone has their own idea of what a half-god(dess)/diety should be...I've seen many versions, none of which i liked in their entirety.

Also, with templates the level adjustment can be kinda harsh, you might consider setting up the abilities in a series of levels (like 3 or 4). You can find more on that in Arcana Unearthed and Unearthed Arcana, IIRC. So that way the character can "grow" into his abilities.

Now...I'd say the lesser is probably the one to go with.

You might consider changing the Long Life to just Ageless
Keep the Outsider designation.

And it looks like you are giving him extra skill points for being Divine Blooded? That will rack up into alot of extra skill points for him...which maybe is what you want, but will the other players be too overshadowed by this? Something to consider. I wouldn't use that portion, myself.

I would use something like Fast Heal 1 or 2 or Regeneration 1 or 2 instead.

I'd drop the darkvision and just give low-light vision, unless the character has low-light vision already and then upgrade it to darvision.

For using a level base, I'd scale the resistances to top out at +10 or +15. 5 is alot at lower levels, but not much at alot higher. Remember, he'll be about 3 levels behind everyone else.

Might be better to give bonus' to posion and disease resistance vs. immunity so you don't hamstring yourself later if you want to remind him he isn't a god :)

I like the +1 to AC, I'd keep that.

and I'd keep it at level +3 or a 3 level racial/archtype progression.

anyway, those are my thoughts and opions and comments :) Hope they are helpful or insightful.

Hollywood

First Post
DIVINE BLOODED TEMPLATE
"Divine Blooded" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).
A divine blooded uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
Size and Type: The creature's type changes to outsider and considered native outsiders. Do not recalculate the creature's Hit Dice, base attack bonus, or saves. Size is unchanged.
Armor Class: Natural armor improves by +1 (this stacks with any natural armor bonus the base creature has).
Special Qualities: A divine blooded has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.
Ageless. The creature no longer suffers ability penalties nor gains ability bonuses for aging and cannot be magically aged. The creature still dies of old age when her time is up; which is double the normal age limit.
Fast Healing/5.
Low-light vision. If the base creature has low-light vision, then the creature gains darkvision.
+2 saving throw bonus to saves vs diseases and poisons.
Spell resistance equal to creature's HD + 5.
Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +2, Con +2, Wis +2, Cha +2.
Skills: A divine blooded gains skill points as an outsider and has skill points equal to (4 + Int modifier) x(HD +3). Do not include Hit Dice from class levels in this calculation - the divine blooded gains outsider skill points only for its racial Hit Dice, and gains the normal amount of skill points for its class levels. Treat skills from the base creature's list as class skills, and other skills as cross-class.
Level Adjustment: Same as base creature +3.

Ok, based on some of your suggestions. :)

Had initially been a bit more expansive in replying, but ENWorld timed out.. so I lost that reply.

Last edited:

UltimaGabe

First Post
Um... Just so you know, Demigods (characters with a Divine Rank of 0) are the offspring of deities and mortals already. There's no need for a Template, just give him a Divine Rank score of 0, as described in Deities & Demigods.

Hollywood

First Post
Hrms... did you not read the post? :( I specifically said "Going the route of making him of 0 rank deity I nixed because only Ao can make an entity a deity".

Thanks.

Thanatos

Banned
Banned
I concur UG, however, that is a bit beyond the power-level the original poster was actually looking for.

Hollywood - I think that looks alot better. Powerful, but not overshadowing.

I'd probably put back the resistances, at least at 5. That provides just a little cushion, but not enough to matter even at mid levels.

Looks good...but the question is, how do YOU feel about it? :)

Hollywood

First Post
Thanatos said:
IHollywood - I think that looks alot better. Powerful, but not overshadowing.

Yes, I think your comments helped make sure that it did not get overbearing... and its usable.

Looks good...but the question is, how do YOU feel about it? :)

Think it'll work just fine!

Thanatos

Banned
Banned
Excellent, I am glad ya feel that way :)

Be sure and post back and let us know how it plays out and if it indeed creates any kind of imbalance.

Hollywood

First Post
Thanatos said:

Be sure and post back and let us know how it plays out and if it indeed creates any kind of imbalance.

Considering there will be a stone giant quasi-PC (i.e. an NPC run by a player who also DMs) involved for a variety of plot-line reasons, I highly doubt it! :)

Hollywood

First Post
Thanatos said:

Considering there will be a stone giant quasi-PC (i.e. an NPC run by a player who also DMs) involved for a variety of plot-line reasons, I highly doubt it! :)

Let me ask you this, since you had some excellent playability suggestions...

Do you think allowing a barbarian character to trade in his Rage ability (includes Greater Rage, etc.) for spell-casting as per a sorcerer every even level would be a fair trade? Perhaps even the Rage and Damage Reduction abilities in trade.

It would not allow him to counterspell, or give him access to spellcraft as a class skill, nor allow him to use scrolls or wands. And it would probably be limited to only a few schools. More along the lines of inborn powers.

Or alternatively allow for a sorcerer multi-class that receives a d6 HitDie and the Rogue/Cleric/Druid BAB in exchange for limited selection of spell schools, no use of scrolls, wands or counter spelling, and not able to ever call a familiar.

Remove ads