• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Divine Disciple PrC (FRCS) -- Waaay too powerful?

James McMurray

First Post
I forgot to mention that the class is also nicely front-loaded. If you don't want to lose a lot of turning undead and level-dependent domain abilities, you can just grab it for one level and get a new domain and telepathy with outsiders.

The Little Raven

First Post
reapersaurus said:
James:

Do you think the Divine Disciple is more overpowered than the EK, the MT, and the Arcane Trickster?

All of which are 10-level classes, granting more abilities and the ability to stretch them into the epic levels.

James McMurray

First Post
Do you think the Divine Disciple is more overpowered than the EK, the MT, and the Arcane Trickster?

I don't think EK and MT are over-powered at all. I think they're good patches to a multi-classing problem inherent in the system.

I wish the Arcane Trickster had been done more like them: good ref and will saves, poor bab, d4 hit die, +1/level spellcasting after first, +1d6 / 2 levels sneak attack (maybe 3 if playtesting warranted it), and 4 + Int skill points per level. The prereqs could have changed to Sneak Attack: +2d6 and the ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells.

All of which are 10-level classes, granting more abilities and the ability to stretch them into the epic levels.

That doesn't make a class more powerful, it just means it is a career choice instead of a side-trek.

James McMurray

First Post
It depends. If you want a cleric and don't care about undead, the Divine Disciple is more powerful. If you want to have a lot more lower level spells from an arcane source and a divine source, MT is more powerful. :)

Archer

First Post
I took 2 levels of DivD and not more because it is nicely front loaded (or has a horrible back end, whichever way you want to consider it) and I was giving up too much to take a 3rd level let alone a 5th. In 3 more levels all I was going to get was +1 BAB, +1 to all saves, +1 to saves vs divine magic and protection from evil at will, which already doesn't stack with any bonuses I have at 9th level let alone 12th. I hardly do better than taking 3 levels of commoner. The 13 skill rank requirement was a little tough with an int of 10. I switched over to Sacred Exorcist for the permanent conscrate, better BAB. better saves and continued turn undead ability.

HammerFist

First Post
Archer said:
I took 2 levels of DivD and not more because it is nicely front loaded (or has a horrible back end, whichever way you want to consider it) and I was giving up too much to take a 3rd level let alone a 5th. In 3 more levels all I was going to get was +1 BAB, +1 to all saves, +1 to saves vs divine magic and protection from evil at will, which already doesn't stack with any bonuses I have at 9th level let alone 12th. I hardly do better than taking 3 levels of commoner. The 13 skill rank requirement was a little tough with an int of 10. I switched over to Sacred Exorcist for the permanent conscrate, better BAB. better saves and continued turn undead ability.

The Sacred Exorcist is another awesome PrC, but I find it difficult to get those 7 ranks of Know (The Planes).

Remove ads