• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Divine smite and ring of spell storing

intently

Explorer
The question isn't "can divine smite be stored". It's "can divine smite, which is not a spell at all, but which consumes a spell slot for power, consume a spell that was stored in a ring of spell storing".

I think my answer would be "no" because the ring is not storing a generic-slot, but rather, a specific already-cast spell. But the reason has nothing to do with Divine Smite not being a spell. No one's suggesting that Divine Smite would be stored in the ring.

The point is rather: If I could cast a paladin spell (say, cure wounds) because i have a paladin spell slot, I can use Divine Smite and burn the slot and get +2d8 damage. So if I have a thing that has a stored Cure Wounds, can I use that to get +2d8 damage? I don't think so. But it's not related to whether or not divine smite is a spell.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm trying to ask, thank you.

Th ring says "While wearing this ring, you can cast any spell stored in it." so that is what it lets you do, cast a spell.

Divine smite says "you can expend one spell slot to deal radiant damage to the target." It doesn't say you can convert a spell you cast into a smite.

So the ring doesn't work with smite, it just lets you cast the spell.

This seems right. Fortunately, my DM has allowed me to do it, so... hahahahaha! +2d8 damage an extra five times per day. (When I get two long rests in a row, anyway... which probably won't be often.)

To be fair, storing Wrathful Smite or Thunderous Smite is pretty powerful already.

What spells would you store?

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
The specifically states that anyone can cast a spell into it, not just the person it's attuned to. So that means that if you have a caster in the party they can give you a high level spell allowing you to essentially be a conduit for them have two of their powerful concentration spells out at once. This allows you to nova pretty hard.

If you want to use your own spells for storing, I've always like the various buffs that the paladin gets. Magic weapon for when you face a creature with resistance, shield of faith for when you need the extra AC, Bless for when there's a saving throw heavy encounter.

intently

Explorer
The specifically states that anyone can cast a spell into it, not just the person it's attuned to. So that means that if you have a caster in the party they can give you a high level spell allowing you to essentially be a conduit for them have two of their powerful concentration spells out at once. This allows you to nova pretty hard.

If you want to use your own spells for storing, I've always like the various buffs that the paladin gets. Magic weapon for when you face a creature with resistance, shield of faith for when you need the extra AC, Bless for when there's a saving throw heavy encounter.

These are great tips, I hadn't considered the concentration element and how the ring can get more value from high-level conc spells.

Also, good point about storing spells that you don't keep prepared all the time! Especially for a Paladin, having access to five extra spell levels of prepared spells is a huge advantage. Super cool.

seebs

Adventurer
In a PF game, my wizard always used to have the bard toss Glibness into a ring of spell storing.

Mouse: Hey, Summer. Toss a Glibness in this ring for me?
Summer: [casts spell] Here you go.
Mouse: [puts on ring]. [activates ring.] Hey, Summer. Toss a Glibness in this ring for me?
Summer: Didn't I just do that?
Mouse: No. [rolls 67 on bluff]

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Twice you answered it without getting the question right. Right.

His answer made sense both times.

Let me try it with a different example.

Player: "Hey, my paladin/sorcerer previously cast Mage Armor on herself. Can she then use the slot for a Divine Smite?"
DM: "No, the *already cast* Mage Armor is a spell, it is not a spell slot you can use to power Divine Smite."

Now, we go back to the ring:

Player: "Hey, my paladin/sorcerer previously cast Mage Armor on into a Ring of Spell Storing. Can she then use the slot for a Divine Smite?"
DM: "No, the *already cast* Mage Armor is a spell, it is not a spell slot you can use to power Divine Smite."

Read the description of the ring. It does not provide a spell slot to cast the spell, it stores the already cast spell.

Harzel

Adventurer
There seems to be a clear argument that several others have given for answering "no". However, I don't see the harm in a DM allowing it if she wishes to.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
There seems to be a clear argument that several others have given for answering "no". However, I don't see the harm in a DM allowing it if she wishes to.

It seems troublesome to me that it would let, for instance, the party warlock store spells in the ring which the paladin could later convert into smites. With a couple extra short rests thrown in over night, that adds up to a lot of extra damage.

CapnZapp

Legend
His answer made sense both times.

Let me try it with a different example.

Player: "Hey, my paladin/sorcerer previously cast Mage Armor on herself. Can she then use the slot for a Divine Smite?"

Now, we go back to the ring:

Player: "Hey, my paladin/sorcerer previously cast Mage Armor on into a Ring of Spell Storing. Can she then use the slot for a Divine Smite?"

Read the description of the ring. It does not provide a spell slot to cast the spell, it stores the already cast spell.
No worries, everybody else got it just fine!

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads