D&D 5E DM campaign disputes.

Aaron Woolsey

First Post
Hello,

I am hoping to resolve a dispute with my DM and I would like some community input. Half way through the Tyranny of Dragons campaign our DM introduced two new players in an adventure without the knowledge or attendance of the main players. The adventure had severe adverse consequences to both the campaign and the main players. Does the results of the adventure stand or does the lack of player involvement overrule the DM and void the whole adventure as never having happened?

Nothing over-rules the DM. At best, you can argue the DM into ruling differently.

That being said, seriously hurting a PC while their player is not in attendance is widely considered to be a jerk move. There's no consensus on what the right way to handle a missing player should be, but that's usually not it.

CydKnight

Explorer
Hello,

I am hoping to resolve a dispute with my DM and I would like some community input. Half way through the Tyranny of Dragons campaign our DM introduced two new players in an adventure without the knowledge or attendance of the main players. The adventure had severe adverse consequences to both the campaign and the main players. Does the results of the adventure stand or does the lack of player involvement overrule the DM and void the whole adventure as never having happened?
Are you saying that the DM played part of the campaign he was DMing for your group with a completely separate group in secret, told you about it later, and is now telling you that those results in your absence effect the outcome of your campaign no matter how adversely?

Aaron Woolsey

First Post
Nothing as of yet. Due to schedule conflicts we haven't had a game in several weeks. However the other players agree the adventure in question should be treated as if it never happened.

CydKnight

Explorer
Yes, that is exactly what happened.
OK but I have to agree with others that more information/clarification is needed. Details of exactly what has taken place could effect my answer.

Depending on what those details are, another way to look at it might be.......what if the results of the secret campaign were actually conceived through rolling on tables in the DMG and not playing secretly with other players behind your back? Would you still feel the same way? In other words is it the change of landscape that bugs you or is it really that he ran part of the campaign with others behind your back?

Aside from talking to the DM about it and reaching a compromise, what the DM says goes. If an acceptable resolution is not made, then you may have to decide to disengage from the campaign.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Just to clarify further.

Was the secret group supposed to be with your group, when they did what they did, and you just weren't present as players, or are they a different party that did something from afar that has a knock-on effect on your group?

Remove ads