DM interference - how much is too much?

WolfWhale

First Post
Hey all!

First post here, so please let me know if this belongs in another part of the forum!

So recently, I had my character die. Sad, but it happens. I've started planning out my new character and my DM has been extremely prescriptive with my in progress character. Now, I've always held the belief that just as DM control of the game world is absolute and not influenced by players, so should the players control over the PC be absolute. Obviously you can't "decide" that your character starts with a vorpal sword or anything, but the details of the actual character should be your own. Now I'm used to some structure, but my DM has dictated that I must:
-Be a cheery character
-Be an impoverished noble
-Be human (the rest of the party are all very exotic - Tieflings, Genasi, the daughter of the Elven king)
-Use the default human traits (i.e. +1 to everything instead of feat)
-Be a Paladin
-Be Lawful Good
-Have a backstory that cannot exceed 1-2 sentences (he ended up just deciding to write my backstory for me because he vetoed every idea I came up with)
-Take the Oath of Devotion
-Fight with a two handed weapon
-Use only readily available starting gear (i.e. pick a martial weapon because pick a Greatsword or longsword that must be used two handed)
-Must use 4th level advance on stats instead of feats (other characters have feats, so this one is confusing)
-Must play the character as having wanderlust/thirst for adventure
-Must worship Bahamut, Tyr or Torm

It kind of feels like there's nothing left for me to do. My question for you all is: where is it reasonable to draw a line in the sand? I do enjoy D&D and I like the other players at the table (at least one of whom he'll shout at in any given session) but there's a certain point where playing at the table is more just an exercise in not disrupting "his" story.

Do any of you have any advice for dealing with this? Is there any chance of salvaging this kind of situation or should I tell him to just write a book and search for a new group?

ccs

41st lv DM
1) Ask him why. Or tell us the rest of the story because I bet you already know the why....
2) Give the character a joke name, using PB+race+ASI set all your stats to 11, & roll your HP, & do your best to get the character killed asap.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I'm with ccs. Since you have some experience getting characters killed, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility if your new character met with an untimely fate as well.

And I'm with Nagol. You could gently remind the GM that he's in charge of running NPCs, not you.

That being said...maybe you could have some fun stepping out of your comfort zone?

Jhaelen

First Post
I'm with ccs. Since you have some experience getting characters killed, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility if your new character met with an untimely fate as well.
+1.
There's no way a DM can force a player to play a character if the player doesn't want to. When I was a much younger and less wise DM, I tried that, and it just doesn't work, trust me on this ;-)

It sounds a bit like your DM may be a control freak, perhaps what he'd really like to do is write a novel?

Obviously you should talk to him about this. Have you asked him why he wants your character to be this way? Ideally, you'll be able to compromise on a character you're both okay with.

Ednoc

Explorer
Wow.

I already saw a lot of GM (Me included) say that it could be great for a player to fill a role, a class or who doesn't want a player to take a particular race or something... But in that case... WHAT A LIST.

I think you have to consider what Nagol, ccs, DMMike and Jhaelen told you. I'm okay with all these methods, but what I think must be the more appriopriate is to talk directly to your GM. Ask him why he want YOU to do that and, of course, why ALL these particular settings. And try to negotiate some point. If you don't want to play this character, don't play it.

Even if the solution to "die ft" seems legit, your GM could make some effort to not trying to kill you. (All NPCs aim other players, etc...)
And if it's too obvious that you are trying to die, he could be angry agaisnt you.
It would end that you both will be frustrated, you because you had to play a character that you don't want to play with and him, because he told you to play a particular character and all you wanted to do is dying to make another one.

Ask him if this character is for plot issue. And if he can't play it as a NPC for some reason, maybe you are going to play this Paladin for one session only, and then, you'll be able to make another one. Who knows.

TL;DR : Talk to your GM. That's the best advice I can give to you.

Lylandra

Adventurer
okay that list seems intense.

May I ask what kind of character you played before? (the one that got killed)

It is not that unusual if a GM puts limitations on a player's character creation choices (alignments, races & classes depending on the planned story & setting come to my mind. But we also asked one of our players to play a male character once because he... just didn't get women :X), but... phew. Especially the "backstory no more than 1-2 sentences" would be a total no go for me.

CydKnight

Explorer
As presented in the OP, this seems unreasonable. Talk to the DM and explain how this is not fun for you. If he doesn't tone it down, it's probably time to find a new DM or group. Hopefully he/she will at least be willing to compromise and you will have to decide how much compromise is enough.

Last edited:

ccs

41st lv DM
Especially the "backstory no more than 1-2 sentences" would be a total no go for me.

Oh, I could do my backstory in 1-2 sentences. They'd just be really really long ones & cause my grade school English teachers to roll over in thier graves. Maybe even rise as revnants & hunt me down :)

Celebrim

Legend
This DM clearly doesn't understand the basic division by which he shares the game with the other participants. Normally, the DM has full control over the setting, but has very little say over the PC's other than that they must fit with the setting and be compatible with the other participants.

So essentially, IMO a DM cannot dictate any of the above to a player, and in general a DM should approve any character proposal that is compatible with the setting. I have a hard time believing that such a specific character is the only sort of character available in the setting at the time.

Being as generous about this as I think you can, what this sounds like to me is Game Master in a director stance, where in effect, the Game Master is saying, "You have to play Sturm Brightblade because I already have a character driven plot in mind and Sturm Brightblade plays a big role in it." And that's not necessarily wrong, but it is something that a GM ought to be very forthcoming about and get player buy-in on.

Remove ads