• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dm looking for help Desert Campaign

TaofHeaven

First Post
Hey im running a desert campaign and am looking for some interesting ideas for adventures. I've looked around online but i need some that are a little more tailored to my campaign. I'd appreciate if any DM's-Players out there could give me a hand on this.

Alright, heres the campaign history in short format.

The Pc's dealt with the Nerull culthood, a group dedicated to raising Nerull's avatar into the material plane (but they dont know that yet :)). There were several culthouses which they destroyed, but the leader of the cult in that area fled into a room filled with many other cultists. In search of the remenants and origination of the Cult, they traveled over a great mountain range. On the other side is a massive desert and a series of ruins that the Pc's mentor knows they are investigating for an unknown reason. The Pc's are on their way there.

In the mean time they have to travel across the desert and i'd like to make it as difficult as possible for them. Its a five person group with a lvl 10 ranger, 9 cleric, 8 rogue, 7 fighter, and 6 druid/wizard*. So far the encounters have been pretty easy, and they've been content to blindly hack and slash their way through it, im interested in changing their parodime to realize that they cant always fight, sometimes they have to run, or roleplay their way through situations. Yet some good bloody situations are good. I need them up into the 17-18 lvl by the time their out of this desert.

Okay, back to history.

Zin-Zan-Zen -> three cities closely linked to each other surrounding one of the only sources of fresh water that's well known. (water is a major comodity). The three cities are run by brothers. These cities are the main power in the desert and they ruled benevolently, uncontended for years. Recently The two states (all states are seperated by gray lines) with cthol murgos da`gok, tamen riu, and mokar have begun striking out. They've cut off traid routes between The capital state and the state with Kasek, Lisi, Notar, and Disher by building the Gashen ra, and Kan`tara forts on the border. Zin Zan and Zen are desperate to have this war ended as its at a current stand still, with both sides entrentched in a series of three different trenches (Basically world war 1 where both sides go back and forth not gaining any land)

Misrak Ac`thull - A secluded tower of five mages lvl 15+. Unconcerned with anything but themselves, their leader a lvl 19 mage has taken to impeding the PC's, not out of malice, but just to entertain himself. The tower's top has been enchanted with a glyph and series of spells that allow anything cast from its top to reach nearly anywhere in the desert, so the leader often uses his extensive series of Illusionary spells to tamper with the PC's

Soshin - the now abandoned ex-capital of the desert. At one time a spledid city harvesting water from the Issian River. When the mages at Misrak Ac`thull accidentally poisoned the river turning its water into a black poisonus retchid liquid, the city faltered. The continualy climbing temperatures twoards the north of the desert, turning it into a burning wasteland devoid of even animal life didn't help.

Kar Nek Tribe - A tribe of humans who have addapted to the insane heat of this place 160-200+ degrees. They end up acting as guides to the Pc's in an attempt to navigate the Lakes of lava at the far north of the desert... but thats far later once their finished with the desert.

Mashin - A small city centered around the slave trade. They have a large quantity of slaves there currently who are being forced to dig deep into the earth to pull out as much water from the ground as possible.

Rebel camp - a groupd of soldiers from the faltering city of Disher intent on freeing the slaves of mashin and freeing their home town Disher from the forces in Mokar that are stationed at Gashen Ra.

Disher - A once rather sprawling city that has been reduced and is faltering, due to lack of food and water from the interupted trade from Zin - Zan - Zen.

The other cities are relatively undefined to date, and are open for editing/advice/adventure locations. Any help would be appreciated and please reference the map I made for area in the attatchment.

TaofHeaven

First Post
Map

Im not sure, but i believe my map didnt attatch to the previous version, im reposting it just to make sure.

Attachments

• Map of Kessin and Surrounding Areas (North) 1.jpg
    Map of Kessin and Surrounding Areas (North) 1.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 58

TaofHeaven said:
In the mean time they have to travel across the desert and i'd like to make it as difficult as possible for them. Its a five person group with a lvl 10 ranger, 9 cleric, 8 rogue, 7 fighter, and 6 druid/wizard*.

Good luck. The cleric can create enough food and water to make survival easy. Make sure you read up on the heat exhaustion rules. They're somewhere in the DMG. Maybe your players will travel at night - less heat exhaustion, but ambushes become easier. I think +5 to Hide easier. :)

So far the encounters have been pretty easy, and they've been content to blindly hack and slash their way through it, im interested in changing their parodime to realize that they cant always fight, sometimes they have to run, or roleplay their way through situations.

You'll need quite a variety. I suggest starting with a wave of angry "bandits" attacking them. They're not really bandits, just nomads angry at the heroes for entering their territory. They don't speak the language, either. The heroes can either use Tongues or try to RP with signs, assuming they figure out what's happening.

If they talk, they are told of another band of enemies nearby. They're given valuable information, eg "they're harpy archers" or something like that. Make the next encounter EL +4. If the heroes were warned, they'll get wax to plug their ears, making the battle easier. Otherwise, possible squish.

Misrak Ac`thull - A secluded tower of five mages lvl 15+. Unconcerned with anything but themselves, their leader a lvl 19 mage has taken to impeding the PC's, not out of malice, but just to entertain himself. The tower's top has been enchanted with a glyph and series of spells that allow anything cast from its top to reach nearly anywhere in the desert, so the leader often uses his extensive series of Illusionary spells to tamper with the PC's

Ok, this one is hardly fair. The villain doesn't even have a motivation.

Kar Nek Tribe - A tribe of humans who have addapted to the insane heat of this place 160-200+ degrees. They end up acting as guides to the Pc's in an attempt to navigate the Lakes of lava at the far north of the desert... but thats far later once their finished with the desert.

Those "bandits" I was talking about. Hmmm... them or the rebels.

TaofHeaven

First Post
In defense of the the mages in Misrak Ac`thull... thats the point. Their not malignant, their just interested in testing people who appear to be strong, plus they come in later in the campaign.

as far as the picture does this one work?

Attachments

• Map of Kessin and Surrounding Areas (North) 1.jpg
    Map of Kessin and Surrounding Areas (North) 1.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 41

TaofHeaven

First Post
TaofHeaven said:
In defense of the the mages in Misrak Ac`thull... thats the point. Their not malignant, their just interested in testing people who appear to be strong, plus they come in later in the campaign.

as far as the picture does this one work?

i dont think it does, i posted the picture in the downloads forum, that should work in the general part. Dunno when it will pop up, u should get a general idea from what i posted though

Merifluous

Explorer
TaofHeaven said:
In the mean time they have to travel across the desert and i'd like to make it as difficult as possible for them.

Look in Sandstorm at the desert dangers section...things like sand that puts the PCs to sleep, flensing sandstorms, and the like. Combine some of those things with some similarly resistant monsters, and it shouldn't be hard to make them hate the desert - I successfully did this for a lower level group a few adventures ago.

TaofHeaven

First Post
Merifluous said:
Look in Sandstorm at the desert dangers section...things like sand that puts the PCs to sleep, flensing sandstorms, and the like. Combine some of those things with some similarly resistant monsters, and it shouldn't be hard to make them hate the desert - I successfully did this for a lower level group a few adventures ago.

Ah... now theres a plan...

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Merifluous said:
Wildscape by Fantasy Flight also contains some good desert hazards. :)

The Auld Grump

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Turn them into merchants.

Consider that the PCs find some interesting swag in some desert ruin and they want to trade it in for cash. The nearest city doesn't have cash, but they'd be willing to barter some items to send with the PCs to the next city in trade for cash. Since the desert folks always use barter instead of gold, they'll have a hell of a time running from A to B to C and back.

Have them guard a merchant caravan.

Have them protect desert nomads from stuff.

Have one of the PC's inherit a harem, only to find out that the harem is actually a front for an all-female assassin cult.

And of course, have them hounded by a mummy. ;)

Remove ads