• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM question, need help with MM attacks

RedSwan78

First Post
Hey there all, I'm going to be running my first campaign as a DM and I have a question about the listings of monster's attacks. Here's what I'm troubled about, multiple attacks and such.

Take the Gargoyle for instance (MM1 page 94)

It's attacks are listed as: 2 claws +6 melee, bite +4 melee, gore +4 melee.

So it's first attack is 2 claws at +6 melee? So it can move it's movement and make it's first attack of "2 claws". If it did a full attack it would have 2 claws +6 melee, then it's remaining attacks are at -5, UNLESS it has Multi-attack feat, which the Gargoyle does so that lowers the penalty to -2, so I take it that is already represented by "bite +4 melee, gore +4 melee", those attacks are -2 from the primary.

So I understand that correctly, yes?

Here's the MAIN question I have, it's first attack. It's first attack says "2 claws +6 melee". Do I make ONE roll that represents it making an attack that comprises of 2 claws, and will only do a claw 1d4 dmg. OR, do I make TWO different claw attack rolls for it's "one primary attack" that if BOTH hit would do 2d4 dmg....?

Help! :)

Ferox4

First Post
You got it.

Roll the claw attacks separately.

And lastly, some unsolicited DM advice:

Be fair
Be firm
And always be prepared - write out battle plans, tactics; DCs for locks, traps, doors, saves; anything and everything to keep yourself from having to look stuff up during play. It can also be helpful to have a player help with initiative - keeping track of spell durations, delays, readied actions and what not. This has made our game run very smoothly. Good Luck and have a blast - "It's good to be king."

Cheers
F4

Last edited:

Spatula

Explorer
RedSwan78 said:
Hey there all, I'm going to be running my first campaign as a DM and I have a question about the listings of monster's attacks. Here's what I'm troubled about, multiple attacks and such.

Take the Gargoyle for instance (MM1 page 94)

It's attacks are listed as: 2 claws +6 melee, bite +4 melee, gore +4 melee.

So it's first attack is 2 claws at +6 melee? So it can move it's movement and make it's first attack of "2 claws".
It gets one claw attack at +6 unless it takes a full attack. Barring spells/special abilities, you can never move and perform more than 1 attack.
If it did a full attack it would have 2 claws +6 melee, then it's remaining attacks are at -5, UNLESS it has Multi-attack feat, which the Gargoyle does so that lowers the penalty to -2, so I take it that is already represented by "bite +4 melee, gore +4 melee", those attacks are -2 from the primary.
Correct.
Here's the MAIN question I have, it's first attack. It's first attack says "2 claws +6 melee". Do I make ONE roll that represents it making an attack that comprises of 2 claws, and will only do a claw 1d4 dmg. OR, do I make TWO different claw attack rolls for it's "one primary attack" that if BOTH hit would do 2d4 dmg....?
On a full attack, a gargoyle gets 4 attacks: 2 claws, 1 bite, and 1 gore. Each claw does the listed claw damage. Some animals (like hawks, IIRC) have "claws +2" in which case there's only one attack roll. But "2 claws +2" is two attack rolls. The number in front is the number of attacks the creature can make with that weapon, at the listed bonus.

dcollins

Explorer
RedSwan78 said:
So it's first attack is 2 claws at +6 melee? So it can move it's movement and make it's first attack of "2 claws".

No. If it moves normally then it gets 1 claw attack. It must take a full attack action to get anything more. See MM p. 7.

RedSwan78 said:
OR, do I make TWO different claw attack rolls for it's "one primary attack" that if BOTH hit would do 2d4 dmg....?

Yes. With the full attack action, you make 2 attack rolls, one for each claw. Each one can do its own 1d4 of damage (potentially 2d4 total).

Remove ads