• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM Questions for Reavers of Harkenwold veterans

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Never count out the giant frogs entirely, they can be really fun monsters. The un-fun bit about them is the stunning. The fact that they swallow people for ongoing damage and can then run away with them is hilarious and completely changes the tactics in a combat.

In my game, the players were winning the fight, then a frog popped out of hiding in the mud, swallowed a caster whole, then ran away up stairs in the tower they were fighting in and tried to hide. The caster had little chance of getting out himself, so other group members had to break away from the fight and chase down the frog quickly before he got digested.

To maximise froggy fun, I suggest the following:
- Have lots of mud around so that the players can be ambushed, or at least keep wondering if they are going to be ambushed.
- Make the frogs run away, preferably over lots of difficult terrain mud once they have grabbed a victim.
- Frogs try to hide and enjoy their meal. It makes for a good scene when the PCs follow the frog around a corner, then can't see it. A perception roll reveals their companions feet sticking out of the edge of a mud pond.
- The person swallowed is restrained, not stunned.
- Make it very very hard to get out of the frog by yourself, thus your friends need to help, but your not bored waiting for them to do so.
- People can make a grab attack to try to pull their companion out, giving them another save.
- Hitting the frog for 16ish damage or more makes them vomit up their meal.
- All of this going on while a bunch of weaker bullywugs are trying to fight the party is a lot of fun.

Sorry for the lengthy post that is only semi-relevant to the topic. Hope it inspires someone to make a fun fight though.

I pulled the same trick, froggy hops in swallows Elven Avenger and then scarpers, even the guy inside the frog saw the funny side of it eventually- particularly when I started doing the 'benny hill' chase music for the frog and PCs turn.

Particularly good as the guy escaped after three rounds- swore bloody vengeance RP-tastic, and then missed and was swallowed again- although this time only for a round. Five PCs and the DM laughing at the other PC is nearly as good as everybody laughing.

I know unfun, but unfun can be funny if it only happens every now and then.

Cheers Goonalan

Remove ads