• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM rewards for running Adventurer's League - what are your thoughts?

What do you think of DM rewards for D&D Adventurers League

• Poll closed .

aramis erak

Legend
I quit tracking my XP as a DM. Simply not worth my time. I DM way more than play, and prefer to DM, have no local conventions, and so, for me, the extant rewards are, literally, meaningless. I'll note that the players don't want to DM even in a pinch... because it puts them "behind schedule"...

Scorpienne

First Post
I'll note that the players don't want to DM even in a pinch... because it puts them "behind schedule"...

This is a thing that makes me a touch concerned. I think this hobby is going to have some challenges growing and thriving if players aren't willing to DM from time to time.

Paige

Coredump

Explorer
This is a thing that makes me a touch concerned. I think this hobby is going to have some challenges growing and thriving if players aren't willing to DM from time to time.

Paige

Yeah, but.... I call BS. I bet most of those same people would not want to DM even if it didn't put them behind schedule. It is a very selfish reason, and one that is easy to address. Explain that this is a volunteer organization, and will not work correctly without an appropriate number of volunteers. Explain that you are willing to DM every other week (assuming expeditions), but will need to have 2 others DM once a month each. (or 4 people once every other month, whatever) Explain that you will help them prepare, but folks need to step up or everyone will be 'behind schedule'

We have found that the biggest hurdle is getting someone to DM the first time. Then they learn that AL DMing is pretty easy and are not afraid to do it more often. GIve them that first push.... and it should go a lot better.

aramis erak

Legend
Yeah, but.... I call BS. I bet most of those same people would not want to DM even if it didn't put them behind schedule.

The people complaining the loudest about it in Anchorage are running Shadowrun tables as the GM and/or have home games. It's not for lack of skill, it's because there's no way to make up for missing a week of play, and the only chance they get to be players is at the store....

RadioKen

Villager
The people complaining the loudest about it in Anchorage are running Shadowrun tables as the GM and/or have home games. It's not for lack of skill, it's because there's no way to make up for missing a week of play, and the only chance they get to be players is at the store....

And it's not just XP you lose out on for missing a week of play. It's the experience of playing as a PC, which I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone is qualitatively different from playing as a GM.

EDIT: Full XP and gold would erase the advancement deficit, but I'm less interested in keeping up than I am in actually getting to play my character(s) on a regular basis.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
And it's not just XP you lose out on for missing a week of play. It's the experience of playing as a PC, which I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone is qualitatively different from playing as a GM.

EDIT: Full XP and gold would erase the advancement deficit, but I'm less interested in keeping up than I am in actually getting to play my character(s) on a regular basis.

I've gotten to play 2 sessions since 5E started as a player. And my character was 4th level, and made 5th.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
I believe that means he dms AL far more than he plays (like me). So his DM credit has shot him to 4th level and he gained enough exp to get him to that 5th level. Or he got his 20 downtime (10 per scenario) and shot himself to 5th.

I have 4 DM credit characters, one is a 5th, 3 4's and a 2.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...ue-what-are-your-thoughts/page5#ixzz3nBFugVyJ

Are you inferring here that Playing is a lot better than dming ? If so I would disagree sir. I set the scene for the group, I get to play as multiple characters and I can at times literally hold the life of the character in my hand. Dming is far far better than playing.

zingbobco000

Explorer
I believe that means he dms AL far more than he plays (like me). So his DM credit has shot him to 4th level and he gained enough exp to get him to that 5th level. Or he got his 20 downtime (10 per scenario) and shot himself to 5th.

I have 4 DM credit characters, one is a 5th, 3 4's and a 2.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...ue-what-are-your-thoughts/page5#ixzz3nBFugVyJ

Are you inferring here that Playing is a lot better than dming ? If so I would disagree sir. I set the scene for the group, I get to play as multiple characters and I can at times literally hold the life of the character in my hand. Dming is far far better than playing.

I'm not entirely sure who you're talking to about the disliking DMing, I love DMing (in fact I think I might know you personally as a DM) I DM way too much however as I have enough DM exp for 3 level 5 chars and 1 level 3, of course everything's been spread out so instead I have an almost 11th level and an optional 5th level (I'm keeping him on the edge until I get to level 11 so I have all three tiers as characters). I completely agree with you that playing is very different from DMing, I have made a habit of talking a lot when I DM (as I'm telling a story and I act 4* as much as any player on average) which has slightly transferred over to me playing making my character a chatterbox (Which fits as he's a legendary bard).

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Sorry, that last part was in reply to a post above that appears to have been deleted. I cant see it anymore. Someone stated that the playing experience was Qualitatively better than dming. I disagreed.

Remove ads