DM tips - improv

Following on from this topic; what do you do if a player throws their melee weapon, like if they want to throw their longsword at the enemy. What kind of attack roll would you have them make?

Sent from my HTC 10 using EN World mobile app
I would make it an improvised weapon attack with disadvantage since the item does not fly well. So, 1d4 bludgeoning (because it's NOT going to hit point first) with disadvantage.

As for the OP, as others have said, don't be married to what's written. Also, how do your players know its a side quest? HAve they read the module or played it before? If they have, don't be afraid to go off book and change it up, also, you can talk to them out of character and tell them that they are meta-gaming too much and will ruin the experience for everyone.

Improv is really tough. Especially if you want to learn/practice it on your own. You can google some improv techniques for acting which will help, but they all require another person to interact with.

All that said, you have done the single most important thing to become a better GM; realize that you could do things better and decide you want to.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

The point of this quest was to have Kost call off the zombies in exchange for the party doing another side quest, with the zombies dead, he had no bargaining chips and the party just outright refused to do him a favour. They kept questioning why he was there, what he was doing, what he wanted etc, the guide says he does not divulge any information. I tried this, I tried about 5 different times to be secretive, refusing to divulge secret information but my party were being stubborn and just spamming the question. I even tried attacking them in the hope that they'd kill him and move on, but they kept charming him and talking to him. Eventually I said :):):):) it and had him disappear into a cloud of smoke. The players were disappointed and bemused as to who this guy was and what he was doing here.

I know I screwed up with the zombies. And I know I follow the notes too strictly, i.e. this character has no other appearances later in the game, it really wasn't important if I divulged his intent or not, I could've done anything, but my improv game is weak and I'm no good at thinking on the spot (great characteristic for a DM right?).

So, sorry about the long post, but I'm really after some tips and examples you guys have used in the past to think on your feet and adapt to the unexpected.

First, don't feel bad. It's not your fault, not totally anyway. It's mostly the fault of a "writer" attempting to write an "adventure". Y'see...whoever wrote that adventure was trying to tell his story...not help you (the DM) tell yours. This is probably the main bugaboo with AP's in particular, and "new" adventure writers in general; they think that their story/plot is so damn cool that it should trump you and your players. Whoever wrote that bit of the adventure needs to put the keyboard away and go back to DM'ing for another couple years, creating his/her own stuff. Then come back and give writing a "D&D Module" another shot.

Second, don't think of the NPC as just a "device to deliver some lines and a McGuffin". The NPC has a reason for doing what he/she/it is doing. This is the improv part. :) This Kost guy obviously has a reason for wanting the PC's to do something. This Kost guy figured that the threat of death was the 'natural' way to get what he wants (e.g., he is Evil, and this is how Evil gets things done...not by asking, but by demanding/threatening). So...why is he evil? Is he Evil? Or is he "evil"? Come up with a general motive on the spot. You can write down a nice list of NPC motives on a piece of paper, say 1 to 8 of them or so. Then, when a situation like this comes up, roll a d8.

If you get a 4, and a 4 has "Family" listed...then he's doing it for some kind of Family reason. Once that little seed is planted in your brain, you will quickly see all the "improv taps" start to open....

"Family? Hmmm....ok, his twin brother is captured by [some NPC/monster in the adventure that comes to mind], and that guy wants [quest PC's are expected to take on]. Maybe Kost will offer half the brothers 'treasure'? ...hmmm...oh...each brother has 1/2 of a key that opens the secret magic door to the vault so neither could abscond with all of it. Yeah, ok, now there is a reason for the NPC doing what he's doing, a reason why the PC's can't/shouldn't just kill him, and a carrot for the PC's to get when/if they say yes"

That's probably enough for the PC's to take the 'job'. If you need more, well, make more rolls on your tables to get "seeds" to use in your improv. This is one of those things that you can not just "read and do"...this is one of those DM things that just takes time to develop. No way around that. It will take time...probably LOTs of time...as in years (multiple months if you are a quick study). It is also one of those things that you just get better and better at. I think the DMG has some 'motives' and whatnot on NPC's in there...can't remember. There are a lot of ideas, charts, tables and stuff like that out there. Gary (Gygax) used to use a 'suit' die (from backgammon?) that he would roll with the reaction of NPC's. Diamonds meant 'money/wealth', Hearts meant 'love/family', etc (may not be exactly those, but you get the point). I always thought this was a great idea, but have never gotten my hands on one of these dice...huh....should look back into that... :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

guachi

Hero
The best way to get good at improv is preparation and practice.

I know that may sound weird, but hear me out. As others have mentioned you should give your NPCs motivations. Maybe write down their bonds, flaws, and whatever the third thing is that players write for their characters. Write down a few adjectives to describe the NPC. If you need to generate an NPC on the fly maybe use a table but be sure you've thought about what each option entails. If you have time before the session, write this down on a note card. One dollar for a hundred cards will be the best one cent per NPC you ever spent on gaming.

Too often my NPCs sound like me. This is bad. Take the time to figure out how your NPCs talk and then practice saying a few sentences. Some people don't like "funny accents" but I'd rather have a mediocre accent than nothing (though a bad accent is right out). I've found I can't maintain German accent for long, so I don't try though one of the PCs can do it, which is why he chose his PC that has a German accent. On the other hand, I've managed a decent Romanian and Russian accent (at least decent to people who aren't used to hearing it) and the PCs can tell when I'm doing one or the other.

Currently, I'm practicing emotionless and haughty, like you'd get from someone talking to servants. In a month I have to do French and I think I've finally got it. And I know I can do Arabic (because I'm an Arabic linguist. I can do that accent in my sleep.) I've successfully done innocent kind and scheming (but not evil) businessman planning ways to make money. At least, successful in the sense the PCs knew what I was aiming for.

Glomb175

Explorer
The best way to get good at improv is preparation and practice.

I know that may sound weird, but hear me out. As others have mentioned you should give your NPCs motivations. Maybe write down their bonds, flaws, and whatever the third thing is that players write for their characters. Write down a few adjectives to describe the NPC. If you need to generate an NPC on the fly maybe use a table but be sure you've thought about what each option entails. If you have time before the session, write this down on a note card. One dollar for a hundred cards will be the best one cent per NPC you ever spent on gaming.

Too often my NPCs sound like me. This is bad. Take the time to figure out how your NPCs talk and then practice saying a few sentences. Some people don't like "funny accents" but I'd rather have a mediocre accent than nothing (though a bad accent is right out). I've found I can't maintain German accent for long, so I don't try though one of the PCs can do it, which is why he chose his PC that has a German accent. On the other hand, I've managed a decent Romanian and Russian accent (at least decent to people who aren't used to hearing it) and the PCs can tell when I'm doing one or the other.

Currently, I'm practicing emotionless and haughty, like you'd get from someone talking to servants. In a month I have to do French and I think I've finally got it. And I know I can do Arabic (because I'm an Arabic linguist. I can do that accent in my sleep.) I've successfully done innocent kind and scheming (but not evil) businessman planning ways to make money. At least, successful in the sense the PCs knew what I was aiming for.
I'm actually really good at accents but for some reason whenever I'm DMing, all my NPCs come out west country.

It's funny you should mention backgrounds and floors. The very first thing I did when I was elected DM was get a copy of everyone's character sheets solely for the purpose of back story, flaws and ideals, to shape the story around that and give them opportunities. Thing is, it turns out that my players aren't really bothered, so they didn't do back stories, ideals, flaws, height, weight, eye color etc etc. I've prompted them many times but they're not really bothered.

Sent from my HTC 10 using EN World mobile app

The story is never wrong.
Pc wins, Pc defeats, Pc luck bad or good, Pc laziness are all parts of the story.
It is up to the Dm to build on it.

guachi

Hero
I ended up going to YouTube for accent training. A good video will concentrate on vowel and consonant patterns.

E.g., Generic American English is very middle of the mouth and many of the vowels, particularly the 'a', are flattened. Arabic is very crisp with each word separate from another and 'r' should be rolled.

I don't aim for great; I aim for consistent and not terrible. Once I get how I want an NPC to sound I can concentrate on what I want him to say. NPCs that sound like me end up thinking like me. To be sure, sound like isn't synonymous with accent. It could be a speech pattern, pitch, speed, anything. Once I get an NPC to sound different, I can think different.

Also, to your specific scenario, if you want something to happen (zombies survive) don't ever allow a situation to happen where something can go wrong. Must have zombies? Then the 12 that died were just some of them. Another 12 are out of view.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I'm actually really good at accents but for some reason whenever I'm DMing, all my NPCs come out west country.

This chimed with me. All my unprepared voices were Mr Frodo Sir in Cornish. Any that I wanted to stand out became something else. Something that I had to work on. Listening to Matt Mercer on Critical Role helped me choose some different ones. Gilmore, the Black powder merchant etc. Not exact copies but something different. I also watch his mannerisms, he physically becomes that NPC. That helps a lot.

Are there any other accents you are good with. Write a list of 5 NPC's. give them a mannerism and an accent or tone of voice you are comfortable with. Give them a reason/motivation - this is what I struggle with most - and.....practice.

Good luck.

Always say "yes...but..."

Ideals, Bonds, and Flaws are the closest thing to leverage you will ever have on the PCs. Make every decision based on them. memorize them, use them, abuse them. And remind your Players of them, "Hey Thief, there's gambling in the bar, isn't your Flaw Gambling Addiction? Tell me how bad the urge to play is?" "Hey fighter, you don't want to help this old man? isn't your Ideal to be Heroic? Turning them away doesn't seem very heroic to me, how does he feel when the party turns him away because you just can't be bothered?" "Oh look, this NPC just happens to know the Lady you have a Bond with Cleric, weird that u'd meet her in a dungeon in the middle of nowhere"

And if you want the PCs to like an NPC then make them act in a way that will endear them to the Players first, and the PCs second. or else they will die. The players are essentially the "emotions" and "brain" of the PCs, leverage that.

Don't fall in love with anything you create. They will die/It will burn. Once you learn to detach yourself from your creations, you'll be able to manipulate them more easily to get the kind of results you want.

Again. Ideals, Flaws, and Bonds. They are your knives, your keys. Twist them and turn them constantly. To the point where, if there's a scene or NPC that you can't connect to at least one of the PCs IFBs, then consider not even bothering with it, or changing it untill it does.

Oh and check out Office Hours with Adam Koeble on Youtube.

aco175

Legend
Sometimes it is hard to get the players to buy into the plots you put out. Giving choices to the players is good, but when they do not take the game you prepared makes you need to adjust on the fly and improv. I remember a few 3e Dragon articles on this and how to leave clues that get the party back on track.

I also find that some of the things I prepare get overlooked and I need to let it go and maybe the PCs will come back to it later, or I just need to move the dungeon to another location and the next town.

When I ran the side quest in LMoP, the wizard was there on a archaeological expedition. He was kind and polite to the PCs and invited them into the tent for tea and water. The Players kept suspecting a trap and tried to get him to reveal his motives. In the end, they left him alone since they had no threatening behavior or cause to attack him. He did give out some info on the orcs living at Wyvern Tor since I had him planning to go there to look for some more items. The PCs ended up cleaning out the orcs and have no idea that Kost may return later more powerful and the players will curse themselves for not killing him. It might be better though it he comes back and aids them.

guachi

Hero
Learn how to cry and be angry. I surprised myself in a session last month by crying when I had an NPC asking the players for help. Her sob story was quite a sob story, I guess.

You have to be a really callous player to say 'no' to a DM that's crying.

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads