DM tips - improv

the Jester

Legend
Use the dice. But if you do, don't be afraid to follow where they lead.

But to do this, you cannot lazy out and make one save for the group of zombies, ever again. That can be disastrous, as you've already learned.

Use the tons of random charts in the DMG. Mark the ones you're going to use often with sticky notes- npc traits, random dungeons, etc.

No chart? No problem. It's easy to come up with simple systems to randomize things. Here's my choice example, how I determine the nature of a random encounter. You can adapt it to almost anything by changing the variables from "hostility" and "danger" to, for instance, "number of exits" and "danger level of room contents" for random dungeons, "degree of alignment with pc goals" and "willingness to help".

So:

If I don't have a specific chart for the area a random encounter occurs in, I roll 2d20. The one that comes down on the left, or failing that, on top/farther from me on my surface, determines the relative difficulty/danger level of the encounter. The second roll determines the default level of hostility or assumed dangerous engagement (for noncreature encounters) with the pcs.

So, 1 and a 1? Not dangerous, not hostile. The opposite. Maybe the pcs find a source of fresh water in the wilderness, or a copse of apple trees. Maybe a flock of sheep and a friendly shepherd, or a happy elfin child frolicking in the fields by himself. Maybe it's even something like a blessed shrine that they happen upon. Just take a second and think, "Absolutely not dangerous or hostile!" From there, if you want, roll a d6. 1-4 is a creature (or several creatures). That narrows it down further. Just think, nice encounter.

A 10 and a 10? Maybe it's a group of mercenaries with no particular agenda related to the pcs, but if the pcs pick a fight, the mercs will give 'em one. Maybe it's a grassfire that the pcs have to outrun or take notable, but not lethal, damage. Maybe, in the city, it's a pickpocket taking a decent chunk of a random pc's money if nobody spots his Sleight of Hand attempt, but not out to hurt them. Maybe it's a gelatinous cube in a dungeon- easy to avoid, if you don't blunder into it, but dangerous enough if you do so alone. Or perhaps a pit, maybe 20' deep with a few spikes. Again, you can throw that d6 to see if it's a creature.

A 20 and a 20? The pcs are in trouble, and if they're smart, they'll run or take cover. It's the ancient red dragon flying overhead, or the cult of diabolists who have just summoned a pit fiend, or the sudden major volcanic eruption in a nearby mountain, or some powerful archmage nearby invoking some humungous magical devastation or rain of colorless fire.

And some of the weirder options can also be really, really cool. A 1 on the danger, but a 20 on the other die? That is the hilarious little baby kobold trying to be Scrappy Doo while you hold him by the collar. Or the raven that talks mad smack at you. Or an infestation of fleas or lice.

A 20 danger but 1 hostility? Assuming the pcs aren't evil, maybe they meet a solar, come to the World to bless the good. Maybe they unexpectedly stumble on one of their powerful allies, or an ally seeking them finds them, or they find a friendly army serving the king they are known to be sworn bannermen of good repute to. Maybe they find a magical pool that has random effects, but only if they choose to get into it. Maybe, in a dungeon, they find a room warded by glyphs of warding set to discharge if monsters enter, but not if humanoids do.

If you want to become better at improvising, you can use the dice to help you. Between games, sit with 2d20 and 1d6, and roll them. Think about what kind of encounter that would generate. Spend a few minutes on each roll, considering the different possibilities. It will both help you get used to the system and give you a chance to actually practice improvising.

Remove ads