• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[DM] - To Sunder, or not to Sunder? (Break, Destroy, Steal the PC's gear?)

[DM] - To Sunder, or not to Sunder? (Break, Destroy, Steal the PC's gear?)

• Yes, I Sunder the PC's gear alot!

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Yes, I Sunder the PC's gear sometimes

Votes: 28 33.7%
  • Yes, I have NPC's steal from the PC's all the time!

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Yes, I have NPC's steal from the PC's sometimes

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • No, I usually don't Sunder the PC's gear

Votes: 25 30.1%
  • No, I usually don't have NPC's steal from the PC's

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Other (Or: Your voting options suck dude!)

Votes: 9 10.8%

MarauderX

Explorer
Break it, smash it, whatever, I like to have the PCs buy new equipment and/or be without something in the middle of an adventure. It really makes them think about how much they have and how much they take with them.

If a player rolls a 1 I ask for a reroll and if they roll a 7 or less with regular equipment, it is broken. Magic items don't break unless they roll two 1's in a row, i'm not that mean. Players may not like it too much, but once they have it happen a few times they know that they will have to help each other out by supplying equipment to each other when the rolls go bad. Not only that, if they load up on stuff I start to keep track of encumberance.... muhahahaa.:p

tburdett

Explorer
RedSwan78 said:
Might I ask what the "M.A.D. route" is?

M.utually
A.ssured
D.estruction

During the Cold War neither side (USA or USSR) would launch a nuclear attack against the other side because Mutually Assured Destruction was the likely outcome. This is why it was/is so important to the USSR that we not develop an anti-ballistic missile system. It would upset that delicate balance in our favor.

In this case, the NPC's won't sunder weapons unless the PC's do it first.

Last edited:

Hygric

First Post
I voted for no, not usually. It's kind of a special flavour thing in my games when a bad guy tries to break a weapon. One player of mine has a very healthy respect for big earth elementals now. :)

Although, I am thinking about Mord's Disjunction on my epic level party to blow away so many of the crutches that they rely on. I would much rather run an epic game that was focussed on character abilities rather than epic toys. I am pretty sure that I can adjust challenges to compensate. My epic party has no main line meet fighter either, so I don't have to worry about nerfing a fighter compared to the wizzie and sorcie.

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Well, you really should have allowed multiple choice...

I voted "Sunder sometimes", although I also "steal sometimes", the later dependant on location, reputation, etc.

And, generally, I don't pay any attention to PC wealth. Heck, I tend to give less treasure and charge more for items (market price in the books is creation price in my campaign). At the same time, I don't sunder magic weapons very often because I don't want to introduce a large number of them in-game; Rare magic swords are special, but only if they don't need to be replaced again and again, which would mean they're not quite so rare, and thus defeat the purpose.

Oni

First Post
Bob5th said:
I guess I'm a wuss but until the PC's start sundering the NPC's item the NPC's won't sunder the PC's. With the exception of Dragon encounters.

The thing with this line of thinking is if the PC's decide to use the sunder option they're already shooting themselves in the foot since they're destroying their potential loot, and turning around and sundering back just doubles the cost paid. Sundering cost the DM nothing, it is a sacrifice to PC's use though.

My personal opinion is that the game is supposed to fun for the players, and that requires on occasion some small sacrifices in verisimilitude. I know a lot of people would disagree with me, but I think it's ok for PC's and NPC's to treated differently.

[edit: oh yeah, forgot, I think this sort of thing is ok on occasion but over using it is bad news.]

Last edited:

thundershot

Adventurer
I only used sunder once so far since 3E started, and it was a long-running 2e carryover. The PC threw his Rod of Lordly Might in spear form at the Wizard, who then ordered his golem to destroy the rod laying at his feet. The look on my player's face when I said that the golem was attacking the rod, and I was rolling damage was PRICELESS... His argument was.. "Why would the bad guy destroy it? If it's destroyed, he can't have it if he defeats us." While that's sound, the wizard really didn't have a use for it, and after watching the Rod switch forms a few times and cut down his forces, he had to get rid of it somehow.

As it was, the rod wasn't destroyed. Just damaged...

Chris

EarthsShadow

First Post
I think players have a bad attitude when it comes to 'personal' attacks against them. They hate it when a NPC sunders their weapons, or even worse, you have a gnome illusionist steal somebodies backpack, and then they happen to not get it back because they don't search well enough for him, or things like that.

Players have this attitude that they are special, immune, to these kinds of actions by NPC's BECAUSE they are players, and if something bad happens to them, then they complain, whine, moan and groan because something bad happened to them.

Players don't realize that there just might be NPC's that perform these kinds of tactics, and if they happen to encounter one then so be it. Players need to realize that they are playing people on these make believe worlds and need to realize that the world does not cater to them.

If they meet a NPC with these unique powers and a player happens to carry a special item that the NPC could use, then why shouldn't the NPC try to steal it. OR, if they have a good weapon, and if they come across a particular person that has the capability of sundering items, then why shouldn't that person do that.

Players whine to much. Get a grip, realize that things are not fair in life, real or make believe.

Yeoman

First Post
As a dm I have no problem stealing or destroying equipment, and as a player I learned a long time ago, if you don't have a backup anything (weapon/plan/party) you are setting yourself up for a pain in the ***. :)

mkletch

First Post
I've noticed as a DM of many years that players tend to think that treasure their characters get becomes their personal property as a player - I'm talking out of character. There is not respect for 'what DM gives DM can take away - assuming it moves the story'. This is a core 'player flaw' I'm working to correct for future campaigns.

-Fletch!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads