• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM Writers Block

Nifft

Penguin Herder
My advice: find someone else with a problem, help them, and "steal" your own work.

For some reason, it's easier for me to come up with good ideas when it's for someone else's campaign.

-- N

Turjan

Explorer
Read a newspaper. Watch a silly TV show. Take a comic or look at the books on your shelves (not the gaming ones ;)). Most of the time, there's enough material that's easily convertible to your game, although it might not resemble the original much in the end ;).

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Teneb said:
The module idea is a good one, and it's something I've done before. However, when I get stuck for ideas, I'll usually use the players. You can either overtly ask them "what's the plan?" and get a feel for things they'd like to do with their characters, or listen as they discuss their plans in character. Jot down the things they're talking about. I often find I can make numerous plot hooks just from the character's discussions.

You can also reward players for providing you with requests for story elements directly connected to their character.

But while you wait for your lazy players to help (because we all know how lazy players can be :) ), be sure to e-mail me at roninartspresident@yahoo.com to claim your prize from the Online Prize Patrol.

fusangite

First Post
Pick a book of fantasy or mythology that you have been meaning to read and have not got around to and read it. That's my most successful cure.

Grealis

First Post
yennico said:
Play as a player in a group under a bad GM :)

I'we found that playing in another campaign with ANY other DM often gives you "enough" time away from your own stories to fill those pesky blanks or blocks.

-G

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads