D&D 5E DMG - breaking bounded accuracy already?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
so if I start out with a 20 year old elf... and I convince the DM to give me one of each of the books, then skip 100 years every couple of adventures... I could use the books like 4-5 times each.... then be a super old elf with a 30 stat... or well in theory, if I had control of my DM
If only Charm Person worked in real life. Sigh. B-)

Rhenny

Adventurer
It is important that some of these items and abilities are offered so that people who want to play a super-hero type game can do that. The game doesn't break. It stretches. I'm finding that with 5e, the DM can basically control what type of campaign he or she will run and at different level's he or she can even change the feel of it.

If I restrict magic and make it very rare, I can keep the more confined BA and middle to higher levels don't feel as super heroic. If I add in some of the most powerful items, the PC that has them feels like a super hero. That's fine.

BA is actually very elastic. By stretching it, the tone/feel of the game changes. That's not good or bad. It is a playstyle preference.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I was really surprised by the tomes. The 100 year recharge limitation keeps most PCs from using the tome repeatedly, but it doesn't explain why some ancient lich that is 1,000 years old hasn't used its tome several times, and it doesn't prevent a PC from benefiting from more than one tome, should they acquire them. Instead of the 100 year rule, I think it would have been better if the tome is consumed after use and the character can never benefit from that kind of tome ever again.

Rune

Once A Fool
Each book works once a century, so one half-orc barbarian could bump his strength up every 7 generations or so.

Timotheos55000

First Post
I was really surprised by the tomes. The 100 year recharge limitation keeps most PCs from using the tome repeatedly, but it doesn't explain why some ancient lich that is 1,000 years old hasn't used its tome several times, and it doesn't prevent a PC from benefiting from more than one tome, should they acquire them. Instead of the 100 year rule, I think it would have been better if the tome is consumed after use and the character can never benefit from that kind of tome ever again.
Personally, I plan on treating the Manuals/Tomes as there being only one of each in existence and each vanishing after use to reappear randomly again after another 100 years.

Fralex

Explorer

How do you know some ancient lich hasn't used the tomes to boost its stats multiple times? It's a great idea! The MM does say lichens like to accumulate magic items. Sounds like a good choice for someone immortal.

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Magic items are optional, you aren't supposed to use them unless you are willing to put in the extra work for a rebalanced game.

And even if you do use them, you don't have to use all of them.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
How do you know some ancient lich hasn't used the tomes to boost its stats multiple times? It's a great idea! The MM does say lichens like to accumulate magic items. Sounds like a good choice for someone immortal.

The question then becomes why almost every lich that's more than a few centuries old doesn't have an Int score in the high 20's or even 30's.

It is stated that the Maximum ability score caps at 30. It is impossible to go higher then that. (The Tome does not state that, but the ability scores themselves do.)

Remove ads