• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DMG2 Riding Boots, prereq feats, and the CW Cavalier PrC

Artoomis

First Post
gabrion said:
Artoomi-My fighter has a dex of 12 but he buys gloves of dexterity +2 so that he can take the dodge feat (cause it is so good). Is this ok?

Nope. His dexterity is 12. It's enhanced to be a 14 temporarily.

gabrion

First Post
Artoomis said:
Nope. His dexterity is 12. It's enhanced to be a 14 temporarily.

Hmm...Well I asked the question because I really don't know the answer to it, so I'm wondering if you could defened the answer you gave.

Consider these two statements from the SRD:

SRD said:
Some feats have prerequisites. Your character must have the indicated ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other quality designated in order to select or use that feat.

SRD said:
They add to the wearer’s Dexterity score in the form of an enhancement bonus of +2, +4, or +6.

It seems like saying that the character must have a permanent dexterity score of 13 to take the dodge feat is adding personal interpretation to the statements above, because bare-bones they don't differentiate between permanent and non-permanent ability scores.

I'm willing to be pursuaded though, so if I'm missing some other important bit of rules text, please post it. I'm trying to find the definition of enhancement bonus, since that seems key...

Artoomis

First Post
gabrion said:
Hmm...Well I asked the question because I really don't know the answer to it, so I'm wondering if you could defened the answer you gave...

It seems like saying that the character must have a permanent dexterity score of 13 to take the dodge feat is adding personal interpretation to the statements above, because bare-bones they don't differentiate between permanent and non-permanent ability scores.

I'm willing to be pursuaded though, so if I'm missing some other important bit of rules text, please post it. I'm trying to find the definition of enhancement bonus, since that seems key...

Well, in this case, what is the character's dexterity score?

Answer, 12, enhanced to 14. The character's ACTUAL score is 12, though it is effectively a 14 so long as the gloves are worn.

Generally, using an item will not get you the prerequisites for a feat. I suppose there might be some exceptions.

gabrion

First Post
Well I won't argue the point, since I'm not super convinced myself, but I do think this one is open to interpretation.

Also, I wish I could find it, but the example I got was actually from a rules of the game article where said character was allowed to take the dodge feat by bumping dex with the gloves. Of course he lost the benefit of the feat (and I think a PrC that required dodge as well) if the gloves were taken off, but like I said, I can't seem to find the article.

*Goes off to search for truth some more...*

Artoomis

First Post
gabrion said:
Well I won't argue the point, since I'm not super convinced myself, but I do think this one is open to interpretation.

Also, I wish I could find it, but the example I got was actually from a rules of the game article where said character was allowed to take the dodge feat by bumping dex with the gloves. Of course he lost the benefit of the feat (and I think a PrC that required dodge as well) if the gloves were taken off, but like I said, I can't seem to find the article.

*Goes off to search for truth some more...*

Doesn't it a seem a bit... silly to have feats and even prestige classes that come and go as you put on and take off your gloves? I think this way lies many, many problems.

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
If you had the ring of evasion, and you got a class ability that states "if you already have evasion, you get improved evasion instead," then, as long as you have the ring on, your class ability gives you improved evasion. At least that's the way I read it.

gabrion

First Post
And evasion is such a fun example because it brings up the question, can I buy a ring of evasion and hook up with a druid to learn her language to get into the Fochlucan Lyrist?

Lol..that was always one of my favorite examples of people trying to abuse items to qualify for things.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Artoomis said:
Well, in this case, what is the character's dexterity score?

Answer, 12, enhanced to 14. The character's ACTUAL score is 12, though it is effectively a 14 so long as the gloves are worn.

So if I'm a 4th level elf who rolled a 13 in Dex and put my 4th level stat bump in Dex, my actual Dexterity score is 13, but it's effectively a 16 as long as I'm a 4th level elf?

If I die and get reincarnated as a human, I lose a level and lose my racial bonus, and my Dex will be 13, so I can't use the stat bump or the racial bonus to qualify for feats or prestige classes, right?

I disagree. While you're wearing the gloves, your Dexterity is 14. It isn't effectively 14; it's 14. The actual score is 14, not 12.

-Hyp.

Borlon

First Post
gabrion said:

What I do when I need a quick interpretation is find out what Artoomis thinks, and do the opposite. ;)

Remove ads