• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DMing D&D (Neverwinter) Encounters at the Red Castle

Daern

Explorer
Once again into the breach, a Dungeon Master braves the wilderlands of the public gaming table, welcoming all who come to play at 6:30pm on Wednesdays at Red Castle Games of PDX, OR.

This Wednesday we played our second belated session of D&D 4e Encounters: Dark Legacy of Evard.
In the first session I had had a full table of six, and ran through the first two encounters in three hours, using all the pregenerated character cards.
We established the scene, couriers stuck in a backwater down waiting for the river to ease its furious flood. The players roleplayed a bit in the tavern, and then were woken up at the stroke of midnight by the town of Duponde's sudden transport to the dark dimension known as the Shadowfell. Dark beasts were bested, and the party ventured into the street to find the town in chaos. The captain of the guard asked for help and the heroes obliged, making the Armory safe, and battling spiders and shadows to do so.
A wonderful time was had by all. Three of the players were new to this iteration of D&D, but they seemed to enjoy the show. The maps were great and I provided some hand painted miniatures.

This week I had only four players, all returns from the week before. This is fine. I consider four players to be the ideal number for rp games. Once again, we played two encounters in three hours. I finished my beer halfway through and found myself losing my voice. The players were concerned about their survival at first, but the managed their final encounter of the chapter quite well.
They began with a quick skill challenge aimed at interacting with the town, quelling panic in the streets and guiding townsfolk to safe houses at the Armory and Chapel. I went around the table and had them describe their actions, then went round again and had them roll the dice for whatever skill I considered relevant. They achieved four successes in a row and rolled into an encounter with two headed shadow beasts, with a plan, and great coincidence. Even so the monsters managed to put the hurt on the party a bit, though they prevailed in the end. I brought the monsters out in waves, which helped a bit.
I made two mistakes. In both fights I rolled well for initiative and attacked immediately. This had the effect of bunching the battle into a small area and did not encourage much tactical movement. I need to wait a bit and use artillery first.
The second encounter was in the graveyard, a classic encounter full of undead. The heroes were able to destroy the undead and then retreated to the Old Owl at daybreak to recuperate as the sun rose and the town of Duponde faded back into the mortal world. The players are now at level 2 and I will need to provide characters next session, for my players do not seem to own any Essentials book.

If we keep to this playing pace, we will catch up to the season's regular schedule by playing two encounters next week as well. After that we can go back to single encounter sessions. So far the players have been very enthusiastic. I am pleased.

Last edited:

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
Durn,

PM me with your email, I will put you on the PDX DDE DMs mail list. Its for all Portland, OR D&D Encounter's DMs. We share info there.

Thanks,

Daern

Explorer
Saracenus-
I've been on the list for months! Great resource. I'm not sure if we've met. I DMed a few weeks of the Keep before work got in the way. Cheers!

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
Hmm.. I enjoy D&D and happen to live in Portland...

;)

Welp, there are wealth of options here in PDX.

Encounters runs at almost every store in the city and surrounding metro area. One of my DMs from Guardian Games started running a new table this season up at Dice Age Games in Vancouver, WA.

If Pathfinder is more your cup of tea, Pathfinder Society is running 2 tables at Guardian Games (Fridays I think).

I am sure we will run the lair assault at some point.

Also, remember its free RPG gameday this Saturday...

Hopefully we will see you at a table.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Welp, there are wealth of options here in PDX.

Encounters runs at almost every store in the city and surrounding metro area. One of my DMs from Guardian Games started running a new table this season up at Dice Age Games in Vancouver, WA.
< snip >
Also, remember its free RPG gameday this Saturday...
< snip >

Envy. That is all.

(Posted from Brookings, OR: 325 miles South-Southwest of PDX: the car ride would be 7 hours each way, and about $80 USD in gasoline per trip, for one game. Not gwine ta' happen, dagnabit!)

Just envy. That is all.

Daern

Explorer
Red Castle Games in Portland, OR

-All are welcome!-

This Encounters season has been humming along. I'm proud to say I've had a majority of returning players for the last couple months. We must be having fun!
At the end of Chapter 2 the heroes have been investigating the Curse of Evard that has been laid upon the town and now defend the populace from the depredations of a second night in the netherworld known as the Shadowfell. This night the townsfolk have barricaded themselves into the Armory, and other safehouses, but rumour stirs (confirmed by the interrogation of a grey goblin with cloven hoofs) that an army of the dead is marching upon the town.

The group for the last few weeks has consisted of a Shade Binder(Warlock), a Drow Hunter (Ranger), a Paladin (who has willingly been corrupted by a devil's sword to become a Blackguard), a Cleric of Pelor, and an Elven Thief.

During their patrols the heroes felt a malaise and deep despondancy drag at them, and though they shook it off, they were obliged to help prop up the moral of the local militia, who seemed ready to pack it in. The Cleric showed them the light of Pelor, while the Blackguard, Drow and Warlock told of much worse tales than theirs, and that combined with a whiff of rum perked them and they had a small army of their own to command! Each player recieved a small card with Militia Minion stats and got to choose a mini fig. I suggested they name them but nobody did.

The band of defenders returned to the Armory to discover it was under attack! Swarms of skeletons with spears battered the Armory doors, and two blazing pyrotechnic skeletons orchestrated the events. A lurking shadow stalker waited for an opportunity to strike.

The ranged abilities of the monsters combined with the big building made for a different sort of fight. The heroes were hurt and very vulnerable to being in a fire corridor, especially when the fire skeletons started lobbing mortars. However, the army was mostly minions and the militia's firepower was quite effective against them. The thief ended up defeating the shadow stalker upon the roof, while the Cleric unleashed Aspect of Wrath to slay all skeletons who approached, and take down both Blazing Bones as well (I think). The Blackguard caught on fire and jumped in the river.

The army was defeated, no one died, and dawn broke over the town. Just another night in the Shadowfell. Everyone made 3rd level and everyone got a random Fortune Card.

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
Durn,

Alas I must spend some XP elsewhere before I can hit you again...

I am glad that your tables have been strong.

Guardian had a brief dip in Season 3 (4 - 5 tables a week) and by mid season 4 we were back up to 5 tables solid (with the last few weeks hitting 6). With Dark Legacy of Evard we now run 6 solid tables a week again (about 32 players total, give or take 2 or 3...)

Aug 6th will be the first World Wide Gameday in a while, it will support the Neverwinter (Forgotten Realms Supplement) campaign and act as a prolog to the Season 6 of D&D Encounters, Lost Crown of Neverwinter.

Happy Gaming,

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
Envy. That is all.

(Posted from Brookings, OR: 325 miles South-Southwest of PDX: the car ride would be 7 hours each way, and about $80 USD in gasoline per trip, for one game. Not gwine ta' happen, dagnabit!)

Just envy. That is all.

tuxgeo,

What is the nearest game store to you? Even if they don't have play space in the store they can still be your point of entry to running encounters in a location nearby that does have the space, library or conference room for example.

Once the store is in the Wizards Play Network, then you get your name on the coordinators list for that location and can take the admin work off the store owner. Hit me with a PM if you need more info.

Thanks,

tuxgeo

Adventurer
tuxgeo,

What is the nearest game store to you? Even if they don't have play space in the store they can still be your point of entry to running encounters in a location nearby that does have the space, library or conference room for example.

Once the store is in the Wizards Play Network, then you get your name on the coordinators list for that location and can take the admin work off the store owner. Hit me with a PM if you need more info.

Thanks,

Saracenus, the nearest game store to me is changing about every two or three weeks--not because the stores themselves are changing, but because my physical location is.
This Brookings address is temporary for me: it's my parent's retirement house on the coast; now, with both of them passed away, my brothers and I are repairing it and disposing of household goods. When that process is done, I'll be going back to the Eugene area, where Evolution Gaming already does Encounters. Until then, my location isn't stable enough to plan a week in advance.

(Thanks for the invitation to PM, though!)

Remove ads