DMPCs, anyone?

SableWyvern

Adventurer
I don't really see how it can be done.

Based on the responses, obviously it can be, but the idea just doesn't sit well with me. I couldn't treat a continuing character played by myself (always the DM) as anything more than a glorified NPC.

Basically, I agree with the Kamikaze Midget.

If, however, others stuck in the role of DM by lazy, unappreciative, good-for-nothing players, can get a warm fuzzy feeling inside from running a DMPC, kudos to you.

Fenes

First Post
I normally co-DM in a campaign, so I always have a PC in the group when I DM (which is about 50% of the time in one campaign, and about 75% of the time in the other campaign.) I have no trouble playing them, since it isn't a "DM vs player" game, and most of the time the interaction between the PCs alone makes for a fun game. Secondly, I consider all my NPCs - with the exception of the "Cannon Fodder" - to be characters, so it doesn't matter much if I DM my PC or an NPC. I do try to not play a "leader" as a PC, more a support character, so that the full-time PCs have to take up that role (save for my Shadowrun campaign, where a NPC leader is needed to keep the intellectually challenged PCs in check)

My own PC does make for a nice hostage/kidnapping victim/Charm target/plot device - you can show how dangerous it is, use those hold person or other one shot killer spells without taking a PC out of the fight or game for half an hour or more, due to a failed save.

I play a warrior cleric of Heironeous because no one else in my party wanted to be cleric, and without healing everyone would have died.

He doesn't say much, just a few battle cries and if they actually are talking to people I let on of the players control him.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
I almost always run a DMPC. I am a die-hard roleplayer, and I miss out on character interactions. The DMPCs I run are never leaders, and Im fair enough to not allow my character to act on knowledge she wouldnt know. Why would I do such a thing anyway? It would ruin the game for the players for my character to do everything right! I guess it all comes down to a DMs personal style and preference.

Turlogh

Explorer
You have to be an exceptional DM to pull this off with out stealing the players thunder. Its really too easy for the DM to give preverential treatment to his/her PC, and to use it as the basis for all the plot ideas, or to lead the PCs by the nose.

But if you are one of the exceptional DMs more power to you, as long as everybodys having fun.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Thats what I dont understand. Why does one have to be so exceptional? How is it so hard to run a character and not use OOC knowlege? If the players come upon a dead end and start searching for secret doors, why should it it so hard for me, as DM, to not have my DMPC automatically know where the door is? I just roll Search checks for her like the players do for their characters. If no one finds the door, they dont find it. Just becuase I as DM know the door is there doesnt mean I should automatically let my character know that.

Its called fairness. I play a DMPC to get in on the roleplaying and some of the fun of battling monsters. I dont use my DMPC to lead the characters by the nose or give away all the secrets.

I think Dm experience and *cough*maturity*cough* have a lot to do with the success of a DMPC.

Tom Cashel

First Post
Turlogh said:
You have to be an exceptional DM to pull this off with out stealing the players thunder. Its really too easy for the DM to give preverential treatment to his/her PC, and to use it as the basis for all the plot ideas, or to lead the PCs by the nose.

But if you are one of the exceptional DMs more power to you, as long as everybodys having fun.

Cool...thanks! :) I guess this makes me exceptional.

I don't really believe in the concept of a "DMPC"...it's either a PC or an NPC, IMHO. But I do play an ongoing non-player character who travels with the group; a fighter. He doesn't really give much input when puzzles are being solved, doesn't tell people what to do (usually), isn't the center of the plot, and just received his first magic item last session (at the urging of a PC...he'd never ask for it). And if he dies, he dies.

But he'll be handy to have around when someone else is the "guest DM" and I need a PC.

Ds Da Man

First Post
Heck, the first 3E character I killed was my own character. Usually, myself and another friend DM the group, and he and I run each others characters. We have done it this way for awhile, and it never seemed a problem.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
DnDChick said:
Anyone else do this?

Once upon a time, I did such things. In my youth, I even abused it. But I no longer do it for a couple of reasons:

1) I get to play from time to time (even if very rare) now.

2) I have reoccuring NPCs that almost fill that role.

3) I have so much fun running all the other characters (minus the PCs) that I simply no longer feel the urge to do so.

I have no problems with other DMs do so as long as they follow a some of rules:

1) NO special powers for the DMPC that are not available to the other PCs either at creation or later in the game.

2) NO advanced levels for the DMPC.

3) NO meta-game/dm knowledge can be used by the DMPC.

Basically, it has to be a level playing field.

Turlogh

Explorer
Hmmm... maybe I shouldn't have said exceptional but rather fair.
I have a DM who when he introduces an NPC (OR DMPC) its choo choo- another trip on the railroad of unfairness.

Remove ads