DMPCs, anyone?

Agamon

Adventurer
I kinda did this in my current campaign. 3 years ago, my gaming group consisted of me and two friends, and we really needed a third member to the party. One of the players had a best friend in his background, which became my "PC". However, I made it clear that she was really an NPC, not my character, per say.

But once 3E came out, so did the players from out of nowhere. now the group has 6 players (with a couple more waiting in the wings if anyone leaves), she kinda had to go. Problem was she was pretty intigral to the plot, so she's become an actual NPC (soon to become one of the party's main antagonists, which I think they're beginning to realise...)

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Please allow me to recract my "*cough*maturity*cough" statement from my previous post. I was in a bad mood when I woke up this morning and shouldnt have taken it out on people in this thread. I apologize if my post offended or insulted anyone.

Eye Tyrant

First Post
Actually, I have never played in a game that the DM did not also play a PC. Until recently anyway, as I am currently running my kids through the DnD Adventure Game, I have decided to just sit back and watch/run the game as opposed to having a PC in it. It's a lot of fun too. But for any other "grown-up" games that I run, I would want to play a PC.

How many DMs play the party's Cleric? Seems that the DM often "gets stuck" playing the Cleric. However, I like Clerics... the first PC I ever rolled way back when was a Cleric!

Maerdwyn

First Post
I've used them in the past when running long adventures in isolated areas, with the purpose of having at the ready a developed character who knows what the party has been doing in the case of a PC death.

The player takes over the character for the rest of the adventure and either keeps the character, or makes a new one of their own. (We don't use raise dead all that much. :))

Numion

First Post
I never play a DMPC. If we've got shortage of players, I'll let some player play the missing players character, or if possible play with fewer PCs. If they insist on hiring an extra NPC for the group, either they control it, or the NPC doesn't do anything in combat.

I just hate the extra dice-rolling, especially if it's 'against my own' monsters. Players also control their own cohorts. Sometimes I may do something with the NPC, if the story requires, or if the players try to do something dumb with the NPCs.

Black Omega

First Post
I'm familiar with DMPC's was from way back in Champions. Aaron Allston(sp) even had a section on that in a Champions book of his.

My group has never used them though. For smaller groups it makes alot of sense. With seven players (two playing healers) my group doesn't really have any holes that need plugged and I have enough to do running the game.:)

Tsyr

Explorer
I tend to avoid playing characters while I dm... player characters that is... because you always get cries of favoritism, at least in my experience.

I do use some of my old player characters as NPCs, but that's after they have retired from active play.

Remove ads